Frothy but not fizzy lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all my budding beer brewing brilliant buddies

So, I made my first AG lager a few months ago, left in fridge for around 3 months to properly lager then took it out to connect up to my taps in the garage. Everything was great but not quite as carbwd as I like so I cranked the psi up to about 30 for a few days. Probably left it a bit longer than I had planned. The result is that every pint is just froth, if I leave it for a while it settles in the glass but it’s not really that fizzy which is what I want in my lager.

Have I ruined it? Any suggestions on anything I could do to recover?

Hey all my budding beer brewing brilliant buddies

So, I made my first AG lager a few months ago, left in fridge for around 3 months to properly lager then took it out to connect up to my taps in the garage. Everything was great but not quite as carbwd as I like so I cranked the psi up to about 30 for a few days. Probably left it a bit longer than I had planned. The result is that every pint is just froth, if I leave it for a while it settles in the glass but it’s not really that fizzy which is what I want in my lager.

Have I ruined it? Any suggestions on anything I could do to recover?
I had a similar issue a few weeks back. Set my bar to 8 degrees and 2.8 vols but stupidly realised after that my line length is calibrated for lower carbonated ales.

You need to reduce the dissolved CO2 in the keg or use more 3/16 beer line-

You can dispense with your gas turned off (so as to not waste CO2) or if you can’t pour at all then you’ll have to vent your keg a little over a few days.

Another thing that helps is a length of tubing out of your tap and into the glass to reduce foaming

Sounds like you have over carbonated it. the "cure" is to vent the keg to release the pressure - leave for an hour and repeat.
If it still pours foam.......keep repeating until you get a decent pour.

Back