Frozen beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Just came to bottle my Vienna lager and the top third is frozen. I’ll let it thaw out overnight I’m sure it’ll be ok. Only had the lagering fridge set on 2 degrees though!

B917C9CC-250B-457B-877E-74636B2562F1.jpeg

Did this work out OK in the end? I'm curious as I just returned home to find my Fermzilla starting to freeze inside the fridge, air temperature inside a whopping -8.6 ℃.

Guess I won't be using the 'maximum' chill setting in future...

tempImagemgmbkf.jpg

I made a giant beer ice lolly like this recently too. The temperature of my brew fridge was set to -1 for cold crash, as I usually do, but I left it a bit longer on this occasion. It was only when I went to keg it I realised the dry hop bag was frozen to the inside of the FV and the beer had a thin layer of ice on It.
Anyway, I left it a few hours to thaw and kegged as normal and it was absolutely fine.

Perfect, cheers @Markk. Mine wasn't frozen solid, just the first lines of icy strata visible at the edges. Hopefully it's not stressed the plastic threads and seals too much, or I'll have a nice puddle when it thaws out.

Just came to bottle my Vienna lager and the top third is frozen. I’ll let it thaw out overnight I’m sure it’ll be ok. Only had the lagering fridge set on 2 degrees though!

View attachment 31743
by any chance is it in a brew fridge/freezer and if so is it in a garage or outbuilding as some fridges will not operate at ambient temps below zero-ish

by any chance is it in a brew fridge/freezer and if so is it in a garage or outbuilding as some fridges will not operate at ambient temps below zero-ish
The brew fridge was in the garage. Don't know if the ambient temperature makes a difference, but this happened last August. I think it may have happened because it was touching the back wall of the fridge which had started to ice up. Now I try and lager at 2.5C which seems to work without icing up.

Did this work out OK in the end? I'm curious as I just returned home to find my Fermzilla starting to freeze inside the fridge, air temperature inside a whopping -8.6 ℃.

Guess I won't be using the 'maximum' chill setting in future...

View attachment 41911
My frozen beer turned out fine. Let it thaw out overnight. Bottled it the next day. Turned out great!

Back