Frozen beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
So the new fridge I bought 2nd hand was working a treat….
Until I went away for the weekend.
I came back to find it at -10c 😱 should have been +1c.
I had beer (in bottles) clearing and they appear to have foamed up and then frozen 🙈 creating a right bloody mess.
I now have my beer back at the right temp but my question is, what affect will this have had on the beer?
TIA

The freezing process drives all the dissolved co2 out of solution. If the vessel they were in retained its integrity (IE, the co2 didn't escape) then it'll redissolve. Otherwise you'll need to recarb your beer.

The freezing process drives all the dissolved co2 out of solution. If the vessel they were in retained its integrity (IE, the co2 didn't escape) then it'll redissolve. Otherwise you'll need to recarb your beer.
So open the bottles and add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar?

A raspberry pi controls my corny chilling. But it went a bit on fire and gave up controlling the freezer elements.

I had full corny kegs of prosecco, IPA, and soda water frozen completely solid.

As Mr Gonzo mentioned, it made it flat. Which took a few days to re-carbonate.

But other than that it was grand.

Only if the lids blew off when the beer froze.
If they didn't come off, then absolutely not athumb..
Great. No lids blown off.
Tried one last night and there didn’t seem to be a problem with carbonation.
I noticed that head retention wasn’t great but it’s the 1st time I’ve brewed this one (hazy NZ ipa) so don’t know if a frozen thing or just the type of brew.

A raspberry pi controls my corny chilling. But it went a bit on fire and gave up controlling the freezer elements.

I had full corny kegs of prosecco, IPA, and soda water frozen completely solid.

As Mr Gonzo mentioned, it made it flat. Which took a few days to re-carbonate.

But other than that it was grand.
Good to hear 👍🏻
Eclectic mix you’ve got going on there too 😏👌🏻

Back