Frozen Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
I recently bought a freezer that holds 3 cornelius kegs. I got involved in a bit of a tasting session one night and had a few pints on top of other drinks but nothing outrageous. Anyway I was in a right old state and still well over the limit at lunchtime the next day and couldnt quite fathom it. A week or so later an apparently half full keg stopped dispensing leading me to think the middle of it was frozen. I am assuming that this made the liquid beer stronger.

My question is by how much. What additional abv points would I expect drinking a say 5% beer inadvertently fortified in this manner?

It certainly did its called wrongly freeze distilling and a situation like that as a estimate would probably double the strength of your beer but only a educated guess. It happened to me once and luckily it was not what I was drinking but the wifes, I found a iceberg in the corny the next morning which explained it

From what I can remeber of my thermodynamics and mass transfer lectures, the ice that forms is actually a weak alcohol solution and the liquid is a concentrated beer. The strength is dependent on the temperature, colder temperatures produce stronger beer.

I used to do it by putting stubbies of french lager in the freezer for a while, the drop in pressure as you open the bottle causes the beer to crystallise as it pours into the glass, making a beer slush puppie.

It certainly did its called wrongly freeze distilling and a situation like that as a estimate would probably double the strength of your beer but only a educated guess. It happened to me once and luckily it was not what I was drinking but the wifes, I found a iceberg in the corny the next morning which explained it

I am a big drinker and well used to overdoing it and have a good feel for how various amounts affect me and I was just mystified that I had managed to get myself so ******. Have turned the cooler down. Difficult to detect an iceberg I guess without depressurizing and opening the lid.

Latest posts

Back