Frozen pressed apple juice & bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJS100

Reaction score
Hi peps, new to the forum, thanks for having me!
Have been making cider from home pressed apples & always used all my juice fresh. This year I have frozen nearly 10 litres and wondered if i need to do anything without (after thawing!) before using it. I intend mixing it with a supermarket juice (any suggestions?) to use it up. I've also priced up plastic 1 litre bottles, and it seems that the cheapest way to use them is to buy supermarket sparkling water, drink the contents & reuse the bottles. Am I being to much of a cheapskate? Ta NJS100

Hi peps, new to the forum, thanks for having me!
Have been making cider from home pressed apples & always used all my juice fresh. This year I have frozen nearly 10 litres and wondered if i need to do anything without (after thawing!) before using it. I intend mixing it with a supermarket juice (any suggestions?) to use it up. I've also priced up plastic 1 litre bottles, and it seems that the cheapest way to use them is to buy supermarket sparkling water, drink the contents & reuse the bottles. Am I being to much of a cheapskate? Ta NJS100

I doubt you need to pasteurise your home pressed juice, so that's fine.
I have used 2L PET (that previously contained cider) for beer for many years with beer and PET is practically indestrucible. If you are going to carbonate your cider by adding priming sugar at bottling you need bottles that can take pressure, so maybe sparkling water?
The supermarket apple juice just needs to be whole juice 100% without added sugar. Most of this is made up from concentrates, I understand.

Cheers Slid Now just need to drink 20L of sparkling water for the bottles. Who said brewing wasn't healthy!!

Love home pressed apple cider.
Used to have a 50 gallon plastic drum for apples out the garden and a drill attachment made from a rotary lawnmower blade to pulp with. Ahh those were the days....

I have considered using my garden shredder for pulping, any thoughts??

How clean can you get it?
I am a big believer in DIY for home brewing, but if your using it for garden waste and pulping apples, expect some funky tastes.
If you have an old one you can keep for apples might be better, but it'll pulp them alright.

TC

Cleaned & lubed old shredder, pulped superbly, ready for bottling now fingers crossed doesn't taste of old machine oil or shredded hedge branches!

Latest posts

Back