Fruit puree

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much do you use in a 23 litre brew and how and when do you add it. My partner really likes the guava hazy Jane from brew dog, so I said that I would try something similar

I use 2kg in that size brew.

I would let primary fermentation finish first and rack the beer onto the fruit in a different bucket. You must get the beer off the original yeast when you add fruit, or you get nasty off-flavours.

Be careful with raspberry though - if you ever use it. It is very potent and you don't need as much. I've discovered this during my winemaking. :D

I still do the odd one - but I've stopped doing as many because it's kind of expensive compared to a lager for example.

Last edited:
Just had a look at these and they seem perfect - great choice and not too expensive. I'm thinking I'll do a 20L base sour and then rack it to two different secondary vessels with a different flavour in each.

Do you find that fermentation kicks off again? And how long do you leave it in secondary? I'm assuming another week? Finally, do you try to calculate the impact on ABV and, if so, how?

Finally, finally :rolleyes:, if you have a good recipe for your sour would you mind sharing? I keep going around in circles with my thoughts on hop additions in a sour

Yes - I used 40% wheat malt, 30% pilsner malt, and 30% fruit (2kg). It is very fruity at that level but that's kind of what you want for a sour. This was for a Gose though, so I also added salt and ground coriander seeds.

Do you have brewfather? This will help with the ABV calculations. Will dig out something for you to look at.

Just leave it in secondary until it's finished, and then a few more days for the yeast to clean up a bit. I think mine took about 2 weeks in total from start to finish. It was perfect to drink at about 3-4 weeks old.

And yes the suspended yeast will start on the fruit on the same day - mine did anyway. The philly sour yeast is amazing. If you use that yeast, don't co-pitch though with a different yeast, or it won't sour.

Hope I'm not bombarding you with too much info lol. Sours are my favourite though.

Last edited:
9342749A-9844-42D6-BB81-45DD7CB50BE1.jpeg

If you have brewfather it will estimate the gravities for you.

You can see here that the OG is 1.042 without the fruit, and 1.047 after it’s added. Estimated. Obviously you will adjust with your actual hydrometer readings.

If you want a vibrant fruit colour, you want the base beer to be as pale as possible.

Thanks @Tess Tickle . Yes, I'm going to be using Philly Sour so your tips are greatly appreciated. What do you use hops wise? I can't get my head around hops in sours - I keep thinking lemondrop and that's about as far as I get. Do you bottle or keg?

Well I made passionfruit flavour so I used Amarillo (I thought it might add some orange) - I mean you can't really taste them anyway as the IBU's are so low on a sour so I suspect it doesn't matter which ones you pick. What you don't want is bitterness and sourness at the same time, because it won't work.

I 'keg'. I put that in quotes as I don't own any actual kegs, but rather I use my fermzillas and my fermenter king juniors.

You're very welcome. :D

Edit - I think it's a good idea to keep it chilled once it's finished as well. I'm always worried if I store anything at ambient or even cellar temperature with fruit in it, that it will go off quicker.

Last edited:
Right. This is getting brewed this week. Final questions...
Do you do any water treatment other then adding a Camden tablet? Just wondering if it's worth helping the yeast out at all?
Do you still use yeast nutrient with this yeast (I'm guessing it won't hurt)?
And have you/do you use any pectolase to enhance the fruit flavour?

I didn't use pectolase but I know another member recently has, as he used a different fruit, so it's up to you.

Always use yeast nutrient no matter what.

If it was me I would use bottled water (no need for campden then) and use Brewfather to tell you what salts to add for the style.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I would like to add to HB's post though and say I think it depends on what fruit you pick.

Mine looked more like the second one and I didn't use pectolase, but passionfruit puree is very thin as opposed to raspberry, which I imagine is thick and pulpy (my strawberry milkshake IPA was).

We both used 2kg in our first brews.

Probably worth considering all the facts before you start. I couldn't make something if I wasn't sure, cos it would give me anxiety lol

Thanks again everyone. I think I'll give the pectolase a miss based on that picture. I'm now just debating whether to split the batch in two so I can go for two flavours but have to bottle, or stick to one and keg it.

Latest posts

Back