Fruit scones

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Random request from my wife a short while ago to make her some fruit scones. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

So, to enhance your relationship (we all know food is the key šŸ˜‚), read on...

1. Pre-heat oven to 200
2. 350g self-raising flour, 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder, pinch of salt - all in a bowl.
3. About 80g butter cut up into small pieces and into the flour. Use thumb and finger tips (a la calling for the bill) to rub the butter and flour into ā€œbreadcrumbsā€.
4. Add 3 tablespoons of caster sugar and stir in.

95CD4AC4-93ED-43FC-A20A-8452BD629A18.jpeg

5. Add 200g sultanas - break these up so they are not clumped and mix them in.
6. 150ml milk in a jug and warm in the microwave - just warm.
7. Add a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice (ish) and leave the milk for a minute - it will curdle, thatā€™s good!
8. Tip the curdled milk into your flour/sultana mix and gently combine (I use a knife). Itā€™s crucial for a light crumb that you handle as little as possible.

32BD28CF-4180-4CD1-ADB3-F4DF36D8A8BF.jpeg

06F91F74-ADE0-457D-B9F5-A64BD47CACB0.jpeg

9. Tip out onto a floured surface and just pat it down with your hands to an inch or so. Again donā€™t mess about with it any more than necessary.
10. Cut it into rounds or just pull pieces off (theyā€™re scones!) and lay them on a floured baking tray.

3873B3C6-DC03-44E1-995E-632BED1D4930.jpeg

11. Important - in a bowl beat a raw egg and then brush the top of each scone (theyā€™ll look **** without this). Sprinkle a little demerara sugar on if you like.

8F5FB8AF-393F-4644-AC9B-9C09BEABDA90.jpeg

12. Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees, remove from the oven, and cool on a cooling rack.

Nice!

73A3677D-6A70-4C78-8F1D-FC7ED641BDF5.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven't had a scone in years and there is nothing better with a nice cup of tea, i will have to ask SWMBO if we can get the ingredients we don't already have next time we do a shop.

I haven't had a scone in years and there is nothing better with a nice cup of tea, i will have to ask SWMBO if we can get the ingredients we don't already have next time we do a shop.
They are very quick and easy to make. We do them with roast cumin seeds, go great with a curry.

Also, if you hate rubbing in (I did so many scones at college I dispise it...) you can ā€œrubā€ the butter in using a blitzer with a blade. Itā€™ll take about 30 seconds and gives you a much finer crumb and a ā€œshorterā€ scone.

Random request from my wife a short while ago to make her some fruit scones. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

So, to enhance your relationship (we all know food is the key šŸ˜‚), read on...

1. Pre-heat oven to 200
2. 350g self-raising flour, 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder, pinch of salt - all in a bowl.
3. About 80g butter cut up into small pieces and into the flour. Use thumb and finger tips (a la calling for the bill) to rub the butter and flour into ā€œbreadcrumbsā€.
4. Add 3 tablespoons of caster sugar and stir in.

View attachment 24393

5. Add 200g sultanas - break these up so they are not clumped and mix them in.
6. 150ml milk in a jug and warm in the microwave - just warm.
7. Add a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice (ish) and leave the milk for a minute - it will curdle, thatā€™s good!
8. Tip the curdled milk into your flour/sultana mix and gently combine (I use a knife). Itā€™s crucial for a light crumb that you handle as little as possible.

View attachment 24394

View attachment 24395

9. Tip out onto a floured surface and just pat it down with your hands to an inch or so. Again donā€™t mess about with it any more than necessary.
10. Cut it into rounds or just pull pieces off (theyā€™re scones!) and lay them on a floured baking tray.

View attachment 24396
11. Important - in a bowl beat a raw egg and then brush the top of each scone (theyā€™ll look **** without this). Sprinkle a little demerara sugar on if you like.

View attachment 24397
12. Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees, remove from the oven, and cool on a cooling rack.

Nice!

View attachment 24398
ashock1 wot no fermenting, carbing or conditioning, no wonder Hagar the horrible sang that song........you know, Skon, Skon, Skon,Skon. Or something along those lines.

And remember, the proper way to eat them is with Clotted cream first, then strawberry jam on top.
My wife says it is jam first then cream, but I say this is nonsense and grounds for divorce.

And remember, the proper way to eat them is with Clotted cream first, then strawberry jam on top.
My wife says it is jam first then cream, but I say this is nonsense and grounds for divorce.
I say your wife is correct. Us cornish folk have authority on the matter šŸŗšŸ˜‚

A Cornish person once threatened to inform the authorities and have them take my Cornish visa away from me for spreading the cream first! šŸ˜‚

I can thoroughly recommend the National Trust scone book for good recipes. The cheese and wild garlic scones were amazing. Next up to try is a Christmas pudding scone!

Cheese and garlic sounds fantastic- I saw a recipe recently that substituted beer for the milk in savoury scones. Now that must be worth trying!

Is it scone, as in rhymes with moan, or scone as in rhymes with gone?
I await your reply, with my finger hovering over the ignore button..... šŸ˜
Ill bet its a regional thing.
And Mrs terrym uses yoghurt instead of milk, cream of tartar and baking soda and tells me you do not overwork the mixture since it affects the texture of the final product. And her scones are infinitely preferable to the bland floury lumps you buy in the shops which seem to stick to your teeth.

I'm from East Midlands but have lived all over. It is funny that my kids mostly speak with a southern accent but because I am the one that does bath time most nights, they do say the word bath with a flat a.

On topic, I second the advice to not handle it as much as possible. Also, don't twist when you use the cutter.

Latest posts

Back