fruit tea bag wines recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1611

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for fruit tea bag wines .There used to be on eon here but the link no longer works :(

Interesting that this recipe says to use 3 ordinary tea bags (presumably for tannin) with 10 fruit teabags, whereas the other fruit tea wine recipe shared recently only used the fruit ones, but doubled the quantity to 20. What happens if you go crazy and make it with 20 fruit tea bags and 3 regular tea bags? Also, do you actually need to simmer it all in a pan, or can you just pour boiling water over the teabags and leave to cool?

I did just that just put 20 bags boiled them left to cool will let you know result :)

I was considering trying out a jam wine when the demijohn becomes free, but as I already have a box of Wild Berry fruit tea bags in the cupboard this may have just jumped the queue. Does anyone know whether the citric acid is required or optional? Will two teaspoons from a bottle of Jif Lemon Juice do? Just wondering as people seem to think it's not really necessary in fruit juice wines and it's the only thing I don't currently have.

I'm thinking:

20 Wild Berry fruit tea bags (may as well use the whole box!)
3 Ordinary tea bags
1.2KG sugar (should be enough as I don't want the end result to be excessively sweet and I think that should probably hit the limit for what will ferment with ordinary yeast)
Add boiling water then let it cool.
Yeast nutrient
Pectolase
Citric acid???
Express wine yeast

sounds good but i would keep clear of the lemon juice .I was going to use that but looked on the label and its got chemicals in it including metabisulphite .I got a big bag of citric acid for 99p from my little indian deli :). Also Im using 5 litre plastic demijohns from Iceland which have spring water in them £1.00 for 5 litre bottle I just drill a hole in the cap fit the rubber airlock grommet and we're away :)

berry teabag turned ok .A bit sweet though for my liking but lots of friends like it :)

Yes the acid is needed.
Either Citric or malic/tartaric will do.

There HAS to be acid in the "must" BEFORE the start of fermentation.

The price of ommission is an incurable "off" taste that resembles glue.

Just yesterday 25/09/21 I started off a gallon of Black tea and apple.
PG Tips tea to be exact.

3ltrs apple juice (pure), Tea from 8 teabags well poached, Malic acid, 1/2 teaspoon grape tannin,1 teaspoon yeast nutrient plus vit B1 yeast was ec-1118
Sugar to OG-1.100 ( should get to14.5%abv).

Raisins and spices to go in next week.

Smells lovely now and fermenting like the clappers.

Been making the fruit tea bag wine for a while now and its fine .Just finished the twinnings orange and peach one .They all turn out like desert wines ,not my cup of tea ,bit too sweet even just adding 1 kg of sugar (excuse the pun ) by i have a friend who loves them .The recipe i used for the peach one was 20 fruit tea bags ,1 cup of normal tea ,handful of raisins and 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid make up to 1 gallon with water Works out about 50p a bottle !.The best one is Lidls summer fruits one though

Hi Mac1611.
Try the following:-
Herbal teas often lack tannin,Add a level teaspoon of grape tannin powder (Youngs sell it)
Black tea can be used as a substitute but you will need at least 6 teabags (well stewed) for a gallon.
The added tannin will add a bit of bite.

Use at least 1 full teaspoon of acid (soft water) 2 or 3 maybe even a bit more if your water is very hard.

A yeast such as EC-1118 will ferment a kilo of sugar to the gallon Bone Dry.
But it needs as all yeast do nutrient,
There is nothing at all for the yeast in tea of any type.
Add 2 teaspoons to the gallon.
This is more than normal but most fruit wines have at least some nutrient.Tea has none.

These measures should make your tea wine taste better

Many thanks for that gretly appreciated Forgot to mention it did add nutrient :)

I don’t find they stay too sweet.
I usually add 1100-1250g sugar depending on how sweet I Perceive the teabag to be.
Always add normal for tannings.

apologies as I’ve been absent from the forum for a bit.

a kettle of water would work, I prefer a pan as I then dissolve the sugar after and don’t have to get it fully boiling.
I use 10 bags as I find it enough. Using 20 didn’t improve the flavour imo so I went cheap 😂

Latest posts

Back