Fruit Vodka

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBeer

Brew Pub Brewer
Reaction score
Now that the sun is out and soft fruits are coming into season, its a good time to start thinking about a sweet fruity tipple that will be ready in time for Christmas.

Don't worry this does not invlove distillation, merely infusing shop bought vodka (or other spirit) with fruits and sugar. I started doing this two years ago with the Tayberries and Loganberries groing in my garden and it has already become a seasonal staple, simple and delicious. I have since tried raspberries, redcurrants, blackberries and rhubarb, all of which were good, but there are countless other fruits you can use, or try a mixture of fruits.

Tiptree (the jam people) have started marketing their own version and look at the prices.

You will need:
Jars (either Kilner type or simply jam jars, as long as they seal)
Bottles
Cheap Vodka (or other spirit if it goes well with your chosen fruit, e.g. whisky with blackberries)
Fruit (small soft fruits whole, larger harder fruits thinly sliced)
Sugar

Wash your fruit and as necessary slice
Add to jar to about 3/4 full
Add sugar and shake down, until all fruit half covered with sugar (sometimes easier to add a little sugar with each layer of fruit)
Add vodka to the neck of jar, seal and shake to mix thoroughly
Shake daily until all sugar dissolved
After 3-4 months strain into bottles, adjust sugar or vodka levels if necessary. The fruit removed can make a nice crumble
Mature for as long as you can wait
Drink and enjoy.

Back