Fruit wine - timing for Campden tablet and pectolase?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Badger

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm going to make another fruit based wine (using strawberries and some other berries all currently frozen) and just wanted to check forum member's experience of the initial process please as there seems to be conflicting information out there.

1) Last time I made a fruit wine I defrosted and mashed the fruit, added a Campden tablet and left it for a day to kill off any wild yeast. However, there are claims that adding boiling water to the frozen berries renders this step unnecessary as it will kill off any wild yeast. Is this true?

2) I will be adding pectolase, but do I then need to leave the must for a day before I add the yeast? Again there seems to be mixed information about this.

The extremes seem to be:

Add a Campden tablet, leave for a day, add pectolase, leave for another day, then add the yeast on day three; or
Add boiling water, once the temperature is right add yeast and pectolase together and get on with the fermentation on day one.

Either way is fine
Timing is not critical when adding pectolase
Pectolase works during fermentation just as well,Or even after.

Wild yeast are generally not a problem as most peg out at about 5%abv or less.

What you DO want rid of is acetobacter (vinegar bacteria) that may be lurking on the fruit.
Fortunately either campden or boiling water can easily dispatch them.

Freeze extraction is a relatively modern method for breaking down the fruit.If one is not in possession of a wine press it is an excellent alternative.

As a personal preference I prefer to get fermentation underway ASAP, Yeast can multiply prodigiously but are DULL SLUGGARDS by comparison to spoilage bacteria.
Especially if they are pitched dry,Thats one reason to use an ACTIVELY fermenting starter
Once a wine must is underway fermenting it is protected from spoilage by bacteria to a large extent.

Hope this helps.

I should also point out that if you are pitching dry yeast directly into the must it is advisable to allow the sulphite from the campden time to dissipate,About 24hrs is the normal period.

Don’t overthink it too much Badger. Mother Nature has a way of sorting it out. Rinsing the fruit with boiling water and adding to a fermentor is fine and gets rid of most of the unwanted ‘everythings’. Cover the fruit with cool water and add the campden table or metabisulphite as required and leave for a day. Remember, the freezing process will also aid in sanitising the fruit as well so you have tertiary measures.
Pectinase is an enzyme so adding at the start of the fermentation is fine but don’t worry about leaving time for it to work, just pitch your yeast. As John said it works throughout the entire process. Importantly though don’t add pectinase to any hot liquid as it will degrade the protein rendering it impotent.
Everything you mention is all good so crack on.
Enjoy your wine!
T

Back