Fry Up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ho hum, bacon lightly cooked and not crispy. Toms grilled, or tinned whole toms for a change. Not fussed on black pud. Fried bread, but not too greasy or it repeats all day. You can put the beans anywhere except on my plate, ‘cos I won’t eat them. I like hash browns, bubble’n’squeak will do if prepared properly, which commercial caterers seem not to do.
Mushrooms must be thoroughly cooked, fried of course, to develop their flavour. Deep fried button mushrooms are ok but I prefer mine sliced. Egg slightly runny so it can be mopped up with fried bread, toast or failing that hash brown/b&s. Save the chips for lunch in a fresh bread chip butty with real butter. Black coffee, of course, and if at a hotel or cafe then accompanied by orange juice,

Nutrition research has boomed over the past few years and it’s becoming increasingly clear that much, if not most, of the standard advice is based on **** poor science, commercial interests and politics.
The reasons for obesity and related health issues are becoming better understood and the finger is being pointed at sugar(s), additives (not all) and preparation methods.
Things that were no-nos are now recognised as being perfectly fine (hooray!) and stuff sold as “healthy” very often isn’t.

I was once in a B&B on the Isle of Lewis. There was several cooked breakfast to choose from, but this had to be done the evening before on a tick form that you left on a table at the bottom of the stairs. I chose one breakfast, and my mrs who is a jock chose a different one.

We we’re at the breakfast table the next morning, when the owner of the B&B came over to us with 2 plates. He asked “Who ordered the breakfast with Haggis and Black Pudding”? I pointed at my Mrs and said, “The savage”. The owner replied, “That savage has got taste Sir”.

Haggis is just wrong on every level.

Liver with a cream brandy sauce. Food of the gods.
Started well and then went downhill a bit.
What's wrong with fried liver in a bacon and onion gravy? Haggis and black pudding too for those of a more northerly persuasion, washed down with a mighty mug of tea and followed with thick, buttered toast and rough-cut marmalade and a second mug from the same pot after the tea's stewed a bit. A good twenty minutes in the little room with the crossword and a couple of Park Drive and then off to Saracen's Head for the morning assizes.
That's a half decent breakfast. What's for lunch?

……… washed down with a mighty mug of tea ……. and a second cup from the same pot after the tea's stewed a bit. ………..

WOW! That brought back memories!

My Granny had an enamelled teapot permanently sat on the coal-fired hob, alongside a copper kettle full of water.

Both simmered away and throughout the day, as various family members went for a cup of tea, Granny would add a teaspoonful of tea leaves to the teapot and replenish the level from the kettle of water.

As a child, I was only allowed about a quarter of an inch of tea (a black liquid with the consistency of axle grease) in my cup; it being filled with hot water from the kettle with a tiny drop of milk and half a teaspoonful of sugar.

God knows how they drank it, but the adults consumed the tea “neat”, so no wonder that they all consumed copious amounts of Mansfield Bitter!

BTW, “Waste Not - Want Not” was prevalent in our village, so at the end of every day the used tea leaves were collected and once a week used to clean the “rag rugs” that covered the floor.

Happy (and economical) Days!

Nutrition research has boomed over the past few years and it’s becoming increasingly clear that much, if not most, of the standard advice is based on **** poor science, commercial interests and politics.
The reasons for obesity and related health issues are becoming better understood and the finger is being pointed at sugar(s), additives (not all) and preparation methods.
Things that were no-nos are now recognised as being perfectly fine (hooray!) and stuff sold as “healthy” very often isn’t.

Yes, I am very convinced "low" fat stuff is a scam, you are better off having full fat natural stuff.

I just think eat what you want but have moderation and a balance in your life, a lifestyle of what you eat and activity that you can maintain for the rest of your life.

For people who have beans out of a ramekin.. do you just eat them in isolation?

Beans in ramekins....you could only get all the beans out with a teaspoon or a toothpick or do those that have ramekins have a method or just quickly tip them out?

Surely a full Irish is really an Ulster fry?

Can’t stand fried bread though, used to get it in the raf canteens

While ramekins are merely a device to ration beans the worst thing ever is food served on planks of wood or bits of slate. If this happens I ask for a plate and tip the lot onto it.

Surely a full Irish is really an Ulster fry?

Can’t stand fried bread though, used to get it in the raf canteens
A full Irish and an Ulster fry differ massively and also each will differ according to town.
in Belfast they deep fry a pancake and add it to the fry. It’s like eating a grease soaked sponge. :vomitintoilet:

Latest posts

Back