Fuggle duck: my house bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely. I'll try and give your recipe a go :) I'm still looking for nice bitter. And I've grown First Gold!

Me too , grow first gold and EKG so ideal recipe for my house bitter, not too different from bitters I've done before except not included Munich before. Also first time with west Yorkshire yeast which I'm having a go at top cropping. Pictured about 50 hours after pitching, going well.
IMG_20181118_172608587.jpg

Got my version of @foxbatWill be fermented with wy1469 west Yorkshire yeast.
Will let you know how it turns out.
Excellent choice of yeast. I have an ESB on at the moment fermented with 1469 and it's wonderful. I mashed at 66C for that one and got 84% attenuation out of the 1469 ashock1. Yeast really seems to go to town with my worts!

They say that patience is a virtue but as I have none here's a picture of my version kegged and force carbed today. Will have to condition it and wait for a day when I haven't sampled every homebrew I possess to decide if it will be my house bitter.
IMG_20181130_145456050.jpg

I brewed Foxbat's bitter about 6 weeks ago. Bottle version much better than keg. Good showcase for English hops. Keep getting marmalade notes.

Anyway, thanks Foxbat for the recipe, it's a great beer.

IMG_20181130_215504576.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181130_215504576.jpg
    IMG_20181130_215504576.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I think the difference between the keg version and the bottle version is serving temperature. The keg version being too cold.

Some lovely looking beer pictures there! I think you're right about the cold temperatures. If I leave a bottle in the fridge too long all the flavours are muted.

Been a week in the keg now and I'm really enjoying this beer so will be brewed again. Got a couple more recipes to do trialling out the west Yorkshire yeast, then likely to return to this or very similar. Incidentally my current version uses EKG rather than fuggles, and I was convinced that was used in the original recipe. (Don't know why as it's called fuggle duck)

Just finished brewing this recipe og 1046 so pleased with that now all I have to do is wait for it to be ready :( . Thanks for sharing your recipe its the first bitter I have attempted.

Just finished brewing this recipe og 1046 so pleased with that now all I have to do is wait for it to be ready :( . Thanks for sharing your recipe its the first bitter I have attempted.
The waiting is a killer isn't it? I was just reviewing this recipe today and I really have to get another keg on ASAP. Might try it with yeast cultured up from a Fullers bottle. It's meant to have a marmalade character that I think ought to bring out the lovely first gold flavours.

I was wondering what to brew next and as my bitter has run out this could be a good shout since it's very close to my bitter but with extra hops for a change.

Man this looks really great... sounds like you've really found something you're happy with and that's the best feeling, really! Anybody else here give this a go? Maybe with some variations? Wonder what you guy ended up with!

The waiting is a killer isn't it? I was just reviewing this recipe today and I really have to get another keg on ASAP. Might try it with yeast cultured up from a Fullers bottle. It's meant to have a marmalade character that I think ought to bring out the lovely first gold flavours.
Tried a good few bottles of this now it's a great bitter one I will brew again maybe with the odd variation. The fullers idea sounds good.

I'm terrible at describing a flavour but I'll give it a go. I would say Munich enhances the ''maltiness" (see, told you I was bad at this) without increasing sweetness. It's like what Maris Otter brings to a beer but "more".

I used my bitter profile here so sulphate to chloride was 125:70ppm.
could you please let me know what your bitter profile is

That pint looks really good, thats the sort of session bitter i would like to make at some point, looking at the recipe can i just ask a couple of questions if thats ok.
Firstly, have you used Ashbeck(tesco) bottled water and secondly was it brewed using an all in one system etc.
Think i will have to try and do this beer it looks/sounds great.

That pint looks really good, thats the sort of session bitter i would like to make at some point, looking at the recipe can i just ask a couple of questions if thats ok.
Firstly, have you used Ashbeck(tesco) bottled water and secondly was it brewed using an all in one system etc.
Think i will have to try and do this beer it looks/sounds great.
Hi, yes I use 100% Ashbeck with mineral adjustments to the style. I do BIAB but I don't use an AIO system, my boiler is a converted double-wall insulated thermopot that Angel Homebrew made up for me with a kettle element and ball valve. There's a lot of photos that include it my brew day thread. Here's one.

Sorry another question, the composition of the Ashbeck water shows a Bicarbonate value, is this the same as Carbonate (Co3)

Back