Fuggles Substitute for use in Butty Bach

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patwestlake

Reaction score
Doing a Butty Bach and need Fuggles for the boil; Dug out my fuggles from the freezer and they are 2017 pellet, so I'm not confident to use them. I have, however got unopened 2019 Stayrian Goldings which I believe are Slovakian Fuggles, and are at least genetically similar. Is this a viable sub. The additionis at 60 minutes, 30 g for 18 IBU along with 27g EKG for 20IBU. Bramling Cross is the other hop (30g at flame-out)

Thought? I'll be using recalimed Butty Bach Yeast

Regards, Pat

If it's for bittering and you'd otherwise throw the Fuggles out, I'd use up the Fuggles. You've had them in the freezer so they should be fine.

I'd use the fuggles. If they've been kept in the freezer a couple of years they should still be good even if the vacuum seal had been released provided they were kept dry. Take out a couple of pellets and let them thaw. Rub them in your hands and sniff them. if they smell good they are good.

Cheers All.

I'll give them a test - if no go then I'll maybe mix styrians with Willamette. Hopefully as it's for bittering, as long as they're not musty, then it'll be fine.

Pat

Latest posts

Back