Fuller's yeast (WlP002) - phelonic?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben034

Regular.
Reaction score
I have cultured some yeast from a bottle of Bengal Lancer (I understand supposedly equivalent to the WLP0002 strain). All has gone well in terms of yeast growth. Im brewing with it today and had a little taste of the starter just to check as I always do. It's quite strongly phelonic / clove like in taste. Almost Belgian ale character. I've never used the yeast before. It's certainly not a taste I would associate with London Pride! Just emphasised in the starter and likely to be fine in 12l?

Thanks

I have cultured some yeast from a bottle of Bengal Lancer (I understand supposedly equivalent to the WLP0002 strain). All has gone well in terms of yeast growth. Im brewing with it today and had a little taste of the starter just to check as I always do. It's quite strongly phelonic / clove like in taste. Almost Belgian ale character. I've never used the yeast before. It's certainly not a taste I would associate with London Pride! Just emphasised in the starter and likely to be fine in 12l?

Thanks
I assume the phenols have been created by stressing the yeast, perhaps increasing step ups in starter too quickly?

I've just done about 5 brews with 1845 cultured yeast and it's not phenolic in what I've done. Kegged a Doom Bar type thing yesterday and it is lovely.

Yeah, it's certainly not what I was expecting. I have about 2 hours until it's time to pitch. I'm leaning towards risking it and hoping the 500ml of starter wort taste is drowned out in 12l. I don't have any dry alternatives either expect some US-05 which I'm not keen on using as this one was supposed to be all about the yeast!

I would split the batch in 2 and get some Wilko ale yeast and pitch in one half and the cultured yeast in the other then you do not waste a whole batch if it goes t%ts up

I would split the batch in 2 and get some Wilko ale yeast and pitch in one half and the cultured yeast in the other then you do not waste a whole batch if it goes t%ts up
That is a good idea but unfortunately only have the one FV. It's a relatively cheap recipe as little hops, small grain bill for 12l batch and yeast was "free" so think will just risk it. Do not have high hopes though.

So, pitched the yeast starter. Can't taste any phenols now it has been pitched in 12l. Only time will tell now. Poured the second half of the starter I usually save for another batch away. Will get another bottle of Bengal for next time to see if I can get this yeast culturing from bottles right next time.

I think it's difficult to tell from tasting the starter if it's normal or not, unless it's something like an aceto infection, they often throw off some funky flavours/aromas.

I think it's difficult to tell from tasting the starter if it's normal or not, unless it's something like an aceto infection, they often throw off some funky flavours/aromas.
Agreed. I usually taste the starter and it's never particularly pleasant. Was very surprised at the level of clove flavour on this one though. Will feedback on how the batch turns out.

Unexpected phenolic flavour is sometimes a sign of wild yeast infection, not that I'm trying to scare you cos it'll probably be fine.

That is a good idea but unfortunately only have the one FV. It's a relatively cheap recipe as little hops, small grain bill for 12l batch and yeast was "free" so think will just risk it. Do not have high hopes though.
The Baron's right. Get some Wilco yeast, which. I understand is Nottingham, and inoculate the whole batch with it. I'd put your other culture to one side and ask the forum whether anybody else has made a starter from this source. Same to waste a good brew.

The Baron's right. Get some Wilco yeast, which. I understand is Nottingham, and inoculate the whole batch with it. I'd put your other culture to one side and ask the forum whether anybody else has made a starter from this source. Same to waste a good brew.
You're about 3 hours too late. He's already pitched the starter.

So all the advice here was spot on and I should haven't pitched the yeast! I sampled the beer and although not unpleasant, it certainly isn't a bitter. It definitely tasted like some sort of belgium ale. If i had extra fermenters and sufficient bottles / space I would have kept it to see how it turned out. Unfortunately I don't so it's down the sink, sterilise fermenter and try again with a yeast culture from a Fuller's bottle. Hopefully better success next time.

Latest posts

Back