FV size for Ale/Stout kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

The only positive to take from lockdown is the love I have found from homebrewing, it really is a bug

Currently using a 25L FV, done a couple of kits now and my last stout was a bit feisty and thanks to these forums I had to make a quick blow off tube.

Many of the kits don't leave much head space in a 25L FV so I am looking to purchase a 30L FV

Reading posts dating back years its a mixed argument on second fermentation in another FV for kit brewing.

Might be the tight Yorkshire man in me but I was hoping to ferment in the 30L, after it reaches FG syphon into the 25L to take it off the cake. Batch prime and leave in the warm for a week or so before bottling into 500ml PET bottles.

Is there any benefit in the approach above and would this still give me carbonation in the bottles if they were placed in a cool spot straight from bottling

Any guidance would be most appreciated 🍺

Batch prime and leave in the warm for a week or so before bottling into 500ml PET bottles.
I'm guession you know you do priming right before you bottle. This makes it sound like you'd prime then leave a week which would just have it going up in abv because of the sugar.

I'm guession you know you do priming right before you bottle. This makes it sound like you'd prime then leave a week which would just have it going up in abv because of the sugar.

Sorry Drunkula, yes my wording is poor on that. I was trying to understand if I would see any benefit of moving a kit beer into a secondary FV and off the cake for a few days prior to priming. Would this improve clearing up the beer at all

Sorry Drunkula, yes my wording is poor on that. I was trying to understand if I would see any benefit of moving a kit beer into a secondary FV and off the cake for a few days prior to priming. Would this improve clearing up the beer at all
Just come across this and cannot see an answer so forgive me Drunkula for butting in and the short answer is yes as it will indeed make the beer clearer and reduce the depth of yeast sediment in the bottle. I have shied away from this process for fear of creating another opportunity for infection and/or oxidation but got fed up of having to stop pouring a bottle of the finished product at the three quarter level due to a rising sediment. I sought advice on here and was told to transfer to a second FV and let it rest for a few days which I have done with improved results. A second piece of advice was to use a better quality yeast which I am planning to do with my next brew.

cannot see an answer so forgive me Drunkula for butting in
He he - anybody and everybody should push me out of the way to answer as half the time I've replied after having a crafty swig or five so don't even remember replying half the time. I'm pretty sure Chippy has set a filter** so only one in 5 of my posts comes through for the benefit of everyone.

** Oh god - please let there be a filter.

Latest posts

Back