G40 recirculation - do you stir?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2nd brew on G40 today. (Once again following a recipe the mash seemed too dry compared with what I am used to so I added a couple of extra litres.)

Anyway, during mash I noticed that the recirculation had forced the grain into 1 side of the vessel - packed quite tightly into about 2 thirds of the volume, with liquid running freely around the other third. So I took to stirring every 10 mins or so like I always used to do. I tried opening the recirc valve anywhere from almost closed to almost fully open, seemed to make no difference.

Is this normal? Do I need to stir, or is it OK to just leave it like that?

Ta for any comments

Cheers

Being old school it isn't a brew day without a copious stir during the mash.

As an experiment with my last bitter I brewed I sat on my hands and didn't stir at all after the initial dough in.
My efficiency dropped 3% and I lost 0.5% abv (no biggie in my book)

So I continue to stir, even if it is to keep my hands away from the beer taps...

Being old school it isn't a brew day without a copious stir during the mash.

As an experiment with my last bitter I brewed I sat on my hands and didn't stir at all after the initial dough in.
My efficiency dropped 3% and I lost 0.5% abv (no biggie in my book)

So I continue to stir, even if it is to keep my hands away from the beer taps...
Yep after over 30 years of stirring it felt weird not to do it anyway... I just wondered if the packing of grain was normal in a g40 (or if, more likely, I'm doing something wrong!)
Cheers

I think what is happening is that the re-circ is pumping in one spot and pushing the grain to one side. Some people put a mesh cover if supplied with the system to help this or use a spray attached to the re-circ outlet, I use a plastic sieve that dissipates the jet into a spray myself as it hangs on the overflow tube nicely but not all system are the same.
I would think a spray ball could be used or a watering can sprinkler with a little ingenuity

I tend to position the tube so the exit points slightly upwards and sprays onto the side.

However, I am contemplating a modification to improve things. Not seen 'the one' yet, but I keep my eyes open.

1.The default grain/water ratio in the Graindfather app. is too dry - I changed it to 2.8 litres/Kg which works fine.

2. I use the re-circulation manifold from SS Brewtech:

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/manifold-for-mash-re-circulation/
I have the manifold suspended by a short length of silicone tube from an aluminium strip cut to span the top of the malt pipe. I don't need to stir; my grain bed does not suffer from channeling and I normally get 82% efficiency.

1.The default grain/water ratio in the Graindfather app. is too dry - I changed it to 2.8 litres/Kg which works fine.

2. I use the re-circulation manifold from SS Brewtech:

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/manifold-for-mash-re-circulation/
I have the manifold suspended by a short length of silicone tube from an aluminium strip cut to span the top of the malt pipe. I don't need to stir; my grain bed does not suffer from channeling and I normally get 82% efficiency.
Ta. Do you just attach the g40 recirculation hose to the manifold?

I think what is happening is that the re-circ is pumping in one spot and pushing the grain to one side. Some people put a mesh cover if supplied with the system to help this or use a spray attached to the re-circ outlet, I use a plastic sieve that dissipates the jet into a spray myself as it hangs on the overflow tube nicely but not all system are the same.
I would think a spray ball could be used or a watering can sprinkler with a little ingenuity
Ta. Plastic sieve sounds like a good simple solution.

I notice this on my all in one. Although I do stir at 25 minute intervals. For the next brew I am going to only recirculate for 15 mins

Ta. Do you just attach the g40 recirculation hose to the manifold?
I have the manifold hose attached to a 3/8" x 1/2" BSP hose barb: this goes through the aluminium strip and is connected to a 90 degree bend and another 3/8" hose barb to which I attach the re-circulation hose. The hose between the manifold (also 3/8" fitting) and the first barb can be cut to a suitable length to suspend the manifold just above the grain bed.

I really believe that if someone made a SVB with a stirring mechanism rather than a re circulation pump they would be on a winner. I was making some bread the other day I use a Kitchen Aid to knead the dough, the turning oscillating movement would be far better than a re circulation pump.

Hi peps. I’ve been home brewing for a year or so now and I’m thinking of taking the next step ie All grain brewing. I’ve done a part grain which turned out not so good and went down the drain. I’ve just done a love brewing Jaipur clone all grain what a faff on I made of it but it seems to be bubbling away quite nicely at the moment. I’ve been looking at various mash tuns and very confused on them. Looking at the reviews on YouTube I can’t get my head round them. I don’t want to be spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on one, any suggestions (and keep it simple) would be appreciated.

Hi peps. I’ve been home brewing for a year or so now and I’m thinking of taking the next step ie All grain brewing. I’ve done a part grain which turned out not so good and went down the drain. I’ve just done a love brewing Jaipur clone all grain what a faff on I made of it but it seems to be bubbling away quite nicely at the moment. I’ve been looking at various mash tuns and very confused on them. Looking at the reviews on YouTube I can’t get my head round them. I don’t want to be spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on one, any suggestions (and keep it simple) would be appreciated.
Best thing about mistakes is what they teach us, happens to all of us and helps to be a better brewer. It isn't the equipment you use which makes you a better brewer, it is yourself. But for me the Brew Devil with a few tweaks is what I use.

Best thing about mistakes is what they teach us, happens to all of us and helps to be a better brewer. It isn't the equipment you use which makes you a better brewer, it is yourself. But for me the Brew Devil with a few tweaks is what I use.

That's exactly it, right? I don't think any of us on here hasn't had some terrible brew days during our brewing careers, but I know for me that it's been from those experiences that I have learned what works, and how to minimise errors and issues. Some things on a brew day, you don't foresee until you're in the thick of it.

That's exactly it, right? I don't think any of us on here hasn't had some terrible brew days during our brewing careers, but I know for me that it's been from those experiences that I have learned what works, and how to minimise errors and issues. Some things on a brew day, you don't foresee until you're in the thick of it.
Agree on the mistakes and what it teaches, biggy for me was my first brew on the klarstein, i threw the grain then notices i had not put the bag in clapa

Latest posts

Back