Galaxy and Nelson pale ale (with a little lactose)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking to make a nice hoppy Pale Ale with Galaxy and Nelson hops. I also have added for the first time a little lactose to the recipe - I'm hoping this will bring out some of the fruity character of the hops and maybe lower the perceived bitterness a little... As I say, never brewed with lactose before so may be well wide of the mark with this! Should I lower the IBU to start with?

Attachments

• Nelson and Galaxy Pale.pdf
    864.4 KB · Views: 35
I would not use the Lactose but I would drop the 60 min addition completely and move all the hops to the Hopstand this will give you a lot less IBU's if that is what you want?
Lactose will just add sweetness and is better used to sweeten beer or to combat tart fruits if used like Rhubarb Raspberries etc
Ps this is my opinion only as I do not like hi IBU beers and very rarely use hops in a IPA as boil hops but Hopstand/Whirlpool and dry hop only again my opinion as it suits my taste buds
Another side note do add Lactose carefully if sweetening after kegging as it nucleates and will foam your beer as added and a tsunami can happenwink...

I agree with @the baron drop the 60 minute boil hops for a less bitter beer. I’ve dropped it from most of my brews now, mostly pale ales and IPAs and is more to my taste. I’ve noticed that with some highly hopped recipes (e.g. NEIPA) the hops are not added until after the boil and dry hopped.

Could you post the recipe? I'm was initially looking for a recipe and although there are loads on beersmith etc, how do I know rhey are good!

This NEIPA recipe might be worth a look too as it uses the same hops (if I've attached the PDF correctly)...

I haven't brewed it so can't comment but Matt Giovanisci has made videos about it on his Brew Cabin YouTube channel, and he's been on Basic Brewing Radio talking about how he refined the recipe over time.

Attachments

• Bowie in Space Recipe.pdf
    114.9 KB · Views: 210
Looking to make a nice hoppy Pale Ale with Galaxy and Nelson hops. I also have added for the first time a little lactose to the recipe - I'm hoping this will bring out some of the fruity character of the hops and maybe lower the perceived bitterness a little... As I say, never brewed with lactose before so may be well wide of the mark with this! Should I lower the IBU to start with?

Coming late to this - but yes. I certainly wouldn't add lactose, which belongs in cows rather than beer IMO. Maybe just about in milk stouts, but I'm not a fan of it in pale beers, might just be that I'm particularly sensitive to it but it never tastes quite right, it "muddies" the flavour a bit IMO, or at least distracts from it.

If you want to lower the perceived bitterness a little, then just add fewer bittering hops. I know it's become a bit of a thing to ditch bittering hops altogether but personally I'm not a fan, I think the beer becomes unbalanced without pronounced bitterness. If you want to make alcoholic Um Bongo then go for it, but personally I like my beer to vaguely taste of beer.

And there is a school of thought that for the hoppy stuff you're better off mash hopping as it gives the hops a chance to complex out certain staling compounds...

Well I did add the lactose and its turned out really nice, Ive just added a 2nd dry hop of 80g of Nelson as the galaxy was overpowering it but its tasting really nice so far

Back