Galaxy Hop Replacement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavensBrew

Reaction score
My latest order arrived... but they won't have have any Galaxy hops for a few months. So I could do with some advice on using what I have for my next recipe: A Double Dry Hopped Pale Ale.

It has 50g of Simcoe and 50g of Amarillo at the end of the boil.
For the final 3 days of fermentation I should dry hop with 150g or Citra and 150g of Galaxy, but I don't have any Galaxy!

So, I need to replace 150 g of Galaxy. Here's what I have:
another 100g of Simcoe
85g of SUPER STYRIAN AURORA
29g of Cascade
50g of Fuggle
50g of EAST KENT GOLDING
28g of HALLERTAU PERLE
28g of HALLERTAU MAGNUM
50g Saaz

My initial thoughts were to go with another 100g of Simcoe + 29g of Cascade and stop at that. However I would rather get a better opinion than mine.
PS. Recipe was from page 120 of Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes: (Grain bill 3.5kg of Pale + 1.5kg Wheat + 300g Carapils)

I would use the Simcoe and Cascade
OR
Buy some more Amarillo to use with the Simcoe or perhaps Centennial from someone like Crossmyloof who will deliver quickly
Thanks for the advice. Not in the UK and this was the last order of 2020 (delivery options are a bit more complicated/expensive and so I have to order less often).
Milling grain tomorrow and going to brew on Friday.

My latest order arrived... but they won't have have any Galaxy hops for a few months. So I could do with some advice on using what I have for my next recipe: A Double Dry Hopped Pale Ale.

It has 50g of Simcoe and 50g of Amarillo at the end of the boil.
For the final 3 days of fermentation I should dry hop with 150g or Citra and 150g of Galaxy, but I don't have any Galaxy!

So, I need to replace 150 g of Galaxy. Here's what I have:
another 100g of Simcoe
85g of SUPER STYRIAN AURORA
29g of Cascade
50g of Fuggle
50g of EAST KENT GOLDING
28g of HALLERTAU PERLE
28g of HALLERTAU MAGNUM
50g Saaz

My initial thoughts were to go with another 100g of Simcoe + 29g of Cascade and stop at that. However I would rather get a better opinion than mine.
PS. Recipe was from page 120 of Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes: (Grain bill 3.5kg of Pale + 1.5kg Wheat + 300g Carapils)

Simcoe is a really nice hop. Go with your own suggestion athumb..

Thanks for the advice. Not in the UK and this was the last order of 2020 (delivery options are a bit more complicated/expensive and so I have to order less often).
Milling grain tomorrow and going to brew on Friday.

Ah! In that case, I would go with the Simcoe and Cascade. I think the other hops would be lost after the late boil addition of Simcoe and Amarillo.

Crossmyloof have got Galaxy. If you order it tomorrow it'll be with you long before you need it for dry hopping.
Bit of a strange combination, in my opinion, as I think of Citra and Galaxy as the same kind of flavour and would use either one or the other rather than mixing them, but maybe that's just me.
None of the hops you list will sub for Galaxy, by the way. Chucking in SImcoe is going to make for a really dank flavour.

Last edited:
Bit of a strange combination, in my opinion, as I think of Citra and Galaxy as the same kind of flavour and would use either one or the other rather than mixing them, but maybe that's just me.

For me Citra and Galaxy is a great combo, they are complimentary flavours. My signature ale “Summer Breeze” is a Citra/Galaxy combo.

Latest posts

Back