Galaxy Hopped Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungri

Landlord.
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone,
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m looking to brew a Galaxy hopped ale based on [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a recipe from brewers friend.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]23Ltr Batch[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BIAB, Mash at 67° for 1 hour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]60 min boil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5Kgs Maris Otter Pale[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]150Gms Crystal 50[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12g Galaxy 60mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12g Galaxy 30mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18g Galaxy 15mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18g Galaxy 5mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]23g Galaxy 0mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]US04 or Crossmyloof English Ale Yeast (not sure which would be best).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ferment at 20°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A couple of the lads on another thread were saying how nice Amarillo is when paired with Galaxy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Would I just split the hops 50/50? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If anyone has a link to a Galaxy and Amarillo recipe could they please post it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ve had a good look but can’t find anything with the two hops together.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ian.[/FONT]

I brewed a galaxy single hop a few weeks ago and it's awesome, definitely doing it again. With mine all additions were late and bittered to 39IBU. I don't think you can use too much of it put it that way! Looking forward to seeing what recipes others have used with Amarillo

I have some Galaxy waiting to be used so I'll be following this for interesting recipes.

I have tried Amarillo and Cascade together as a dry hop in a Coopers APA which was outstanding.

I also brewed a similar beer recently.

3.5kg maris otter, 500g dark munich.
Mashed at 66C in my grainfather.

Boiled with Galaxy as follows: 15g at 60 mins, 10g at 20 mins and 10 mins then 20g at 0 mins.

Fermented with Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728

Came out about 43 IBUs and it's quite bitter, hoping it mellows a bit while i'm offshore as it's current'y my least favourite brew. I do like the flavour of galaxy hops, I did an IPA with galaxy, amarillo and cascade and I now think that the galaxy was overpowering the other 2.

Good luck with your brew.

Dennis King's Galaxy Delight all grain kit sold by the malt miller is the best home brew beer I have drank in nearly 40 years of brewing.

[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone,
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m looking to brew a Galaxy hopped ale based on [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a recipe from brewers friend.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]23Ltr Batch[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BIAB, Mash at 67° for 1 hour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]60 min boil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5Kgs Maris Otter Pale[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]150Gms Crystal 50[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12g Galaxy 60mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12g Galaxy 30mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18g Galaxy 15mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18g Galaxy 5mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]23g Galaxy 0mins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]US04 or Crossmyloof English Ale Yeast (not sure which would be best).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ferment at 20°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A couple of the lads on another thread were saying how nice Amarillo is when paired with Galaxy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Would I just split the hops 50/50? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If anyone has a link to a Galaxy and Amarillo recipe could they please post it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ve had a good look but can’t find anything with the two hops together.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ian.[/FONT]

I did this: at each stage I used an equal amount of galaxy & amarillo hops.

I've repeated this with mj's M44 and it's a sharper effect whereas the wb-06 is smoother and of course hazy. they are both very quaffable.

Brew 5: Noah Knows

14/03/2015
4 litres of Tesco chase spring.
500g wheat crystal malt steeped for 30 mins at 65 deg c. in 3 litres .
Used 1 litre of boiled water to keep temp at 65 deg c +
then added
1 kg spraymalt wheat
2 kg light dme
15 g amarillo & galaxy 15 mins boil (in muslin bag)
45 g amarillo & galaxy (in muslin bag) at flameout then stir for 10 minutes 5 minute hop rest
After boil, stir and hop rest poured wort,boiled and flameout hops into fv and
topped up to 21 litres.
yeast (safbrew wb-06) pitched at 28 deg c.
1.058 og calibrated to 20 deg c
remove hop bags in 5 days (19/3/2015)
wait 4 days then dry hop (23/3/2015)
40 g amarillo & galaxy for 5 days
28/03/2015
FG 1011 adjusted for temp
130g brewing sugar
6.17%
17.5 litres bottled
Gravity sample taste, bitter and fruity. Not too sweet.
04/04/2015
plenty of carbonation, orange and tropical fruit, plenty of bitterness needs to mellow a bit,
11/04/2015
bitterness blending well, orange aftertaste - beautiful.

Dennis King's Galaxy Delight all grain kit sold by the malt miller is the best home brew beer I have drank in nearly 40 years of brewing.

I've seen that recipe on the malt miller. Gets excellent reviews doesn't it. I will be doing that one some time this year.
Want to try the galaxy, Amarillo combo this time around.

I also brewed a similar beer recently.

3.5kg maris otter, 500g dark munich.
Mashed at 66C in my grainfather.

Boiled with Galaxy as follows: 15g at 60 mins, 10g at 20 mins and 10 mins then 20g at 0 mins.

Fermented with Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728

Came out about 43 IBUs and it's quite bitter, hoping it mellows a bit while i'm offshore as it's current'y my least favourite brew. I do like the flavour of galaxy hops, I did an IPA with galaxy, amarillo and cascade and I now think that the galaxy was overpowering the other 2.

Good luck with your brew.

Cheers Zephyr
The ibu's in the recipe I'm looking at is in the 50s. Almost all the recipes I put in to brewers friend seem to have high ibu's. The few I've made haven't tasted bitter though.

I did this: at each stage I used an equal amount of galaxy & amarillo hops.

I've repeated this with mj's M44 and it's a sharper effect whereas the wb-06 is smoother and of course hazy. they are both very quaffable.

Brew 5: Noah Knows

14/03/2015
4 litres of Tesco chase spring.
500g wheat crystal malt steeped for 30 mins at 65 deg c. in 3 litres .
Used 1 litre of boiled water to keep temp at 65 deg c +
then added
1 kg spraymalt wheat
2 kg light dme
15 g amarillo & galaxy 15 mins boil (in muslin bag)
45 g amarillo & galaxy (in muslin bag) at flameout then stir for 10 minutes 5 minute hop rest
After boil, stir and hop rest poured wort,boiled and flameout hops into fv and
topped up to 21 litres.
yeast (safbrew wb-06) pitched at 28 deg c.
1.058 og calibrated to 20 deg c
remove hop bags in 5 days (19/3/2015)
wait 4 days then dry hop (23/3/2015)
40 g amarillo & galaxy for 5 days
28/03/2015
FG 1011 adjusted for temp
130g brewing sugar
6.17%
17.5 litres bottled
Gravity sample taste, bitter and fruity. Not too sweet.
04/04/2015
plenty of carbonation, orange and tropical fruit, plenty of bitterness needs to mellow a bit,
11/04/2015
bitterness blending well, orange aftertaste - beautiful.

Thanks for the recipe mate. Never used spray alt or dme before. Might be interesting to try a different method.
Do you think the yeast I was going to use is wrong for the type of ale? I.e. Crossmyloof English ale yeast or S04. Still very new to this and picking the right yeast is still a bit of a mystery.

If your going by DoJ''s wheat beer recipe then the Crossmyloof crystalweizen yeast may be suitable. The 2 you mention would work for mine although I'd probably use the American alternatives, i.e. US-05, as they are more neutral to let the hops shine through more.

If your going by DoJ''s wheat beer recipe then the Crossmyloof crystalweizen yeast may be suitable. The 2 you mention would work for mine although I'd probably use the American alternatives, i.e. US-05, as they are more neutral to let the hops shine through more.
I'll do both at some point. What about Crossmyloof American Pale Ale yeast for your recipe? That's supposed to give a neutral result and I've got a few packs already. I will get different yeast if necessary.
Thanks for the help mate.:thumb:
Forgot to ask. How many ltrs in the fv am I aiming for with your recipe?

I brewed a galaxy single hop a few weeks ago and it's awesome, definitely doing it again. With mine all additions were late and bittered to 39IBU. I don't think you can use too much of it put it that way! Looking forward to seeing what recipes others have used with Amarillo

Its not often I'd disagree that you can have too many hops but I had a load of leftover Galaxy from a local brewery - about 300g - and I paired it up with another 100g of Nelson Sauvin. Mostly late additions 10g at 60m then all other additions from 8m onwards. It was bottled on the 25th Feb and its still way too bitter (67 IBU calculated), it was like drinking acid although its slowly calming down. It might be ready to drink in another few months otherwise it might end up down the drain :(

Thanks for the recipe mate. Never used spray alt or dme before. Might be interesting to try a different method.
Do you think the yeast I was going to use is wrong for the type of ale? I.e. Crossmyloof English ale yeast or S04. Still very new to this and picking the right yeast is still a bit of a mystery.

Traditional English ales are not crazily hopped so if doing that style it's less important. However, as zephyr says the US-05 would be better for the hops. With my recipe as the malt bill has a good percentage of wheat in it a wheat beer yeast also works well but gives a more rounded result. I think fruity esters from the english ale style yeasts would get in the way of galaxy & amarillo - passion fruit, grapefruit, tangerine/orange flavor & aroma.

It does of course depend on how high you ferment the yeasts because at the lower end of their temperature range yeasts ferment cleaner.

If you're going to use a lot of hops for a big hoppy hit 200g of those hops would cost around £10 so better not to use a yeast that could mask them.

Its not often I'd disagree that you can have too many hops but I had a load of leftover Galaxy from a local brewery - about 300g - and I paired it up with another 100g of Nelson Sauvin. Mostly late additions 10g at 60m then all other additions from 8m onwards. It was bottled on the 25th Feb and its still way too bitter (67 IBU calculated), it was like drinking acid although its slowly calming down. It might be ready to drink in another few months otherwise it might end up down the drain :(
That's a lot of Galaxy. Hopefully the 50/50 split with Amarillo will help tone the bitterness down..

Traditional English ales are not crazily hopped so if doing that style it's less important. However, as zephyr says the US-05 would be better for the hops. With my recipe as the malt bill has a good percentage of wheat in it a wheat beer yeast also works well but gives a more rounded result. I think fruity esters from the english ale style yeasts would get in the way of galaxy & amarillo - passion fruit, grapefruit, tangerine/orange flavor & aroma.

It does of course depend on how high you ferment the yeasts because at the lower end of their temperature range yeasts ferment cleaner.

If you're going to use a lot of hops for a big hoppy hit 200g of those hops would cost around �£10 so better not to use a yeast that could mask them.
Thanks D_O_J
I'll get some S05 then. The grapefruit, passion fruit flavour you mention are just what I'm trying to achieve. As you said, don't want to mask them.
Not got any proper temp control at the moment, so everything is fermenting between 20-22°.
Thanks for all your help.

Sorry for late response, I'm working nights atm. The CML american ale yeast should work fine if you already have it, american ale yeasts are all neutral and good for hoppy beers. I was aiming for 23 L in the fermenter, think I was about 0.5L short but I didn't have time to cold crash my starter so that added an extra litre.

When I brewed the maltmiller AG kit I ditched the yeast in favour of liquid yeast. WLP002 English ale yeast, which is supposed to mute hop flavour, works well and takes out some of the harshness that can come with galaxy but leaves a great hop flavour. WLP041 Pacific Northwest gives a more full on hop flavour.

Sorry for late response, I'm working nights atm. The CML american ale yeast should work fine if you already have it, american ale yeasts are all neutral and good for hoppy beers. I was aiming for 23 L in the fermenter, think I was about 0.5L short but I didn't have time to cold crash my starter so that added an extra litre.

Thanks Zephyr
Might still use S05, just to try a different yeast.

When I brewed the maltmiller AG kit I ditched the yeast in favour of liquid yeast. WLP002 English ale yeast, which is supposed to mute hop flavour, works well and takes out some of the harshness that can come with galaxy but leaves a great hop flavour. WLP041 Pacific Northwest gives a more full on hop flavour.

Cheers true blue
Not used a liquid yeast yet. So many choices.

What recipe did you follow ?

Back