Gaming.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it got me thinking about whether the Animus is a metaphor for gaming? You know, that 'Walking on Glass' / 'Ready Player 1' kind of vibe where the game world is more fun to be than real life.

I think they are carrying on because they don't want to upset or lose those that have followed the series from day one, i wish they would run a poll i bet they would find the majority would be happy for it to go RPG.

Remember back in the day when patches used to take forever to download, loving fibre broadband. ;)

I can remember waiting forever to the screeching sounds of a cassette loading jet set willy etc, only for it to crash on load up and have to start again 🙄

Dial up internet also thankfully a thing of the past 😁

Used to play shooters back in the dial up days my gaming name back then was Max Ping as I rarely got below 100ms.

I wish we could get that buzz back now, jump packs, too many open buildings with 2 floors and sniper camping maps ruined it for me years ago, I still remember playing WW2 back then when you chose sides if you were clever you picked the German side as you could play as Germany each new game you got used to the sound of the enemy guns so knew which direction they were coming from and because you used the same gun every time you got to be a cracking shot.

Same. I was playing Odyssey last night, and it suddenly flipped back to modern day. I'd forgotten it was all in the Animus. I rushed through the dull modern day bit to get back to Ancient Greece as quickly as I could.

But it got me thinking about whether the Animus is a metaphor for gaming? You know, that 'Walking on Glass' / 'Ready Player 1' kind of vibe where the game world is more fun to be than real life.

when I first played the early AC games I really enjoyed the switching between modern day and memories. I had hoped that the series would expand and explore the story and the origins of the apple and the creators. Sadly it never happened and instead the animus turned into a distracting afterthought that just gets in the way of some mostly great gameplay. Pity though feels like a real missed opportunity,

I seem to be the lone Xbox user here so I'll just keep schtum. I failed to get a series X at launch, but have the One X so that'll tide me over. I'm mainly bashing my head against Doom Eternal and relaxing with the incredibly pretty repetitive grind of the Avengers game.

I seem to be the lone Xbox user here so I'll just keep schtum. I failed to get a series X at launch, but have the One X so that'll tide me over. I'm mainly bashing my head against Doom Eternal and relaxing with the incredibly pretty repetitive grind of the Avengers game.

I've always leaned heavily in favour towards Xbox rather than PlayStation, I have a PS2 but purely for nostalgia (GTA 3, Tenchu Stealth Assassins, Silent Hill 2 and the early Tekken games are ones I couldn't be without).

I'm not really bothered about the next gen at the moment since there's nothing there that's really stood out for me, as long as Skyrim runs well on my Xbox one then I'm happy (although there were more than a few crashes to desktop and streams of profanity before I got the hang of the mod system!).

My son loves all the run and gun stuff like Halo and Destiny, he did try to get me into the Doom series but I couldn't get on with it, all these new fps games just seem to blur into one to me.

Ah Tenchu - was blown away when Tenchu 2 came out. Had a chipped PS in those days would hire games from the petrol station and copy them in work :tinhat:

I've always leaned heavily in favour towards Xbox rather than PlayStation, I have a PS2 but purely for nostalgia (GTA 3, Tenchu Stealth Assassins, Silent Hill 2 and the early Tekken games are ones I couldn't be without).

I'm not really bothered about the next gen at the moment since there's nothing there that's really stood out for me, as long as Skyrim runs well on my Xbox one then I'm happy (although there were more than a few crashes to desktop and streams of profanity before I got the hang of the mod system!).

My son loves all the run and gun stuff like Halo and Destiny, he did try to get me into the Doom series but I couldn't get on with it, all these new fps games just seem to blur into one to me.

I loved Tenchu.

I've just bought a Raspberry Pi 400 and stuck Retropie on it, coupled with a 128Gb usb stick literally full of Retro roms covering all the old computers and consoles from the 80s and 90s. Happy times. Currently playing through Resident Evil 2 on the PS1 again.

I've just bought a Raspberry Pi 400 and stuck Retropie on it, coupled with a 128Gb usb stick literally full of Retro roms covering all the old computers and consoles from the 80s and 90s. Happy times. Currently playing through Resident Evil 2 on the PS1 again.
When the mood takes me I still play some of the old Spectrum games. With such limited hardware the work that went into some of the designs was incredible.

Skooldaze immediately springs to mind.

Hoping to pick up Doom Eternal soon. Just finished Doom 2016 and it is totally off the chain. One of the best FPS I've played.

Nice. I'd love to do something like that. Some classic stuff. Resi 1 and 2 were also amazing games.

Back