Gamma Ray Original

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this recently and had the same problem finding all the right hops....
I substituted the Bravo for Magnum
and the Calypso for Cascade
Turned out lush and didn't hang around long

Glad it worked out.
My last brew I just kegged yesterday had some CML hops in and have to say I wasn't blown away by the quality

Just didn't have the hoppy punch I'm used too and if you notice they are not purged of oxygen.
Usually get hops from Malt Miller.
Just wish MM would get cryo hops back.

If you ever get the 25, 50g bags, they don't seem vac packed. The larger bags do. Maybe Im wrong but the smaller bags seem to have air inside the foil package. Maybe is is nitrogen sealed, but compare a 100g bag vs a 25g.

It's the 50g foil bags that I got for the recipe. They weren't vac packed but I've had nitrogen flushed hops from another supplier a while ago, also in foil bags. I wouldn't think that they would supply hops that hadn't been packed properly

Cheers. Tom

Just didn't have the hoppy punch I'm used too and if you notice they are not purged of oxygen.
Usually get hops from Malt Miller.
Just wish MM would get cryo hops back.
Crossmyloof Hops in pouches are ALL CO2 flushed. O2 is drawn out and CO2 is purged in. All the hops are bought direct from Charles Farm and flushed within 24 hours. How do I know? Coz I'm the one who does it ;)

Just cracked my 1st pint of this from the keg. Very nice indeed, even the Mrs comment on the amount of flavour to it. More bitterness than I was expecting though, even taking into account an equivalent bittering of a 10 min addition from the flame out hops .
I will definitely be doing this one again :beer6:

Cheers Tom

Glad you enjoyed it :smile6:
Cheap recipe as well dont you think, did you add extra dry hops like I said'?

Bit of an update

I'm nearing the end of the keg and there's still loads of flavour in the beer. Usually it's started to lose it well before now. Well happy, might change my plans and do this again next up but add some of Rob's grapefruit extract to see what happens

Cheers. Tom

Its a fav of mine, brewed it multiple times, keep upping the hops though. Going to dry hop with a fews Lupin hops to make it a more Tropigamma/Luploid

Think I'm going to try this tomorrow. What would be a decent substitute for Bravo in the boil and calypso in dry hop? This is only my 3rd brew :blush2:

Hi guys-been looking for this recipe for a while so i am excited to get it ripping next :)
Real obvious query, but with the hop additions-
When it says start i'll be putting them in at 60 mins,, yeah?
Then there is no addition until 'End'- all in at 0 mins yeah?
I take it WP is whirlpool- did you bother to do this? Not sure how i can in my mash kettle..!

Thanks!

Your hop additions go into the boil after the mash
Once your wort comes to the boil add your first bittering hops. Then once 60 mins is up chill down to 180 degrees and whirlpool the 0 minute hops for 30 mins, try to keep temp at 180.
How can you boil in your mash kettle?

Latest posts

Back