Gamma Ray Original

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry- that's my brew kettle, i can mash then boil in it-it's a Buffalo water boiler.
I gotcha. So mash, boil, then 30 minute whirlpool?
What is whirlpooling, i have not done that before?
Thanks

Braindead- I had a quick look online about whirlpooling- i get it now, thanks for the help- think i'm on track now for brew day this weekend/ early next week- really looking forward to making this beer!

Just fill your head with as much knowledge as possible
Youtube, google etc/
Is this your first brew?

Probably about my 7th all grain brew, before that I learnt with extract- still getting the hang of it.
Will certainly check out whirlpooling as I’ve not done it before

Tunabeast- do you reckon this needs a wee bit more of a hop hit? I’m going to do the recipe as it is and then decide if it needs more. I have the stuff for this weekends brew.
Let me know what you think about the new one and how much extra you put in.

When I brewed as per recipe it tasted amazing but lacked the extra fruity punch of aroma you get from gamma ray in a can. I am going to double up on dry hop additions, will see what happens!

Nice one Tuna- be sure to let me know how the double dry hops go! I’ll keep that in mind for brew two, this is a recipe I could see myself make over and over if it comes out good :)

Im currently half way through another batch of Gamma, I doubled up the on whirlpool and dry hops and still doesn't have the tropical punch. Even used Cryo Citra hops.
I put it down to the quality of hops and grain we get compared to the big boys

@Braindead - dissapointed to hear that! Is there a noticeable difference after upping the hops? Next time I'm in London hoping to stop off at the Beavertown brewery, will try and find out the secret when I'm there

Nah hardly anything to be honest with you.
To be honest I do think though I'm killing my palate as my last brew had 17g/l dry hop and compared to Gamma dry hop it was a different league

I'm brewing this at the moment, the dry hops are in as we speak. I got around 19l at the end of the boil which was giving me 1.056. I added a litre of boiled water and it took me to 1.051.

I'm using a Grainfather in the UK so usual UK power output. Either the recipe is slightly wrong or we're both boiling too hard.

@MrBarrySir
Is that your recipe on the GF reciped page under B long? Gonna brew this tomorrow and this will save me adding it to my recipes :)

I've got El Dorado Galaxy and Citra in the freezer and gonna use these in place of the stated hops. Hope to get a tropical fruit pale ale. I see Logan is using Simpsons Best Pale malt (he's quoted on the Simpsons Best Pale page as having switched to BPM a few years back for all BT beers).

Last edited:
Thanks again for sharing/starting the thread. It's always nice to have a crack at something 'familiar'... which is why I brewed this today :)

However as I figured I'm unlikely to nail a perfect clone even with the exact recipe I've used what hops I've had in the freezer and bought some Mosaic as I've not used it before. It's got Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado but I'm not sure in what quantities for the dry hop yet. I'll look into that over the coming ten days! Suggestions and advice always welcome of course! I'm potentially gonna add up to 200g in the dry hop but unsure if I should do two additions or one.

Stuck to the profile for bittering and whirlpool addition's but I'll likely up the dry hops as I said to hopefully give it a big fruity, tropical hit especially considering the hops I'll be adding.

Got a SG of 1.060 rather than the predicted 1.054 so that's a bonus and it should be nice and clear once all the gunk drops out, dry hopping may have an impact but we'll see!

Attachments

• IMG_3625.JPG
    IMG_3625.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 90
Gamma ray is widely available but as always depends on where you’re based and what your local bottle shop/craft bars are like.

Just make sure you cold crash and I use gelatine on my Gamma Ray to get it nice and clear.
But then again Gamma does has a haze to it

The dry hop additions will bring some murk but I'm not too bothered with this one - I'll do the cold crash as always but whats left behind will only add to the flavour!

Reckon it's easy enough to add the whirlpool hops a dry hops- whirlpooling takes a long while to cool down... Not that i can brew this at the moment, it is too hot so have to switch to saisons!

Latest posts

Back