Gas or degas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreadlock

Reaction score
Hi do I need to keep the gas on my keg as it was producing just foam I was told to put 30psi in the keg for 48hrs degas it and apply 12psi so sone that left it for a week went to pour and got nothing but foam so I turned the gas of and degassed the keg left it for a couple of days tried it again and got a great pour of beer it’s been in the fridge so I don’t know should I put the gas pressure back up to 12psi or just leave it until I’m ready to pour again and apply just enough pressure

Plastic keg or cornie?

What style of beer?

Did you gas it in a colder area from where you are serving it (the colder it is the more CO2 it will absorb - so bringing it into the warm will cause it to be too frothy)

Who told you 30psi and then degas - why?

You will just get flat beer with no carbonation - subject to the answers above I would suggest put it back under 12psi pressure. If you do this it should absorb enough CO2 to remain carbonated whenever you pour

If in doubt just drink flat beer!

Plastic keg or cornie?

What style of beer?

Did you gas it in a colder area from where you are serving it (the colder it is the more CO2 it will absorb - so bringing it into the warm will cause it to be too frothy)

Who told you 30psi and then degas - why?

You will just get flat beer with no carbonation - subject to the answers above I would suggest put it back under 12psi pressure. If you do this it should absorb enough CO2 to remain carbonated whenever you pour

If in doubt just drink flat beer!
Hi I got the information of you tube there is a lot of talk about gassing but this guy was supposed to be a professional using corni keg using a Belgium light beer kit waited for 2 weeks after fermentation emptied into the keg purged the keg into the fridge left for 1 day then added gelatine purged again at 30psi for 2 days then purged again and set at 12psi left for 2 weeks with all the gas at the same temperature and all my lines in the fridge tried it and getting nothing but foam I know I shouldn’t do what I see sometimes but I suppose it’s a big learning experience i purged the keg and turned the gas of for a day and got a good pour just wondering should I raise the pressure back up to 12psi or go half this

What size and length is your beer line ?
This can make a big difference.
At 3/16" I found about a metre was right, if it came in 3m length and you haven't tried reducing it that could be your problem.
Lots of threads on the subject on here if you search.

I’m just using a pic nic tap it’s about 1 meter tube on it I’m thinking I have purged the keg and put the Co2 up to 10psi I’ll let it sit In the fridge for a week it’s funny as there was a few litres left over in the keg so got 9 bottles used 2 sugar cubes and the beers are well cleared and highly carbonated and surprisingly not that much sediment

Hi I got the information of you tube there is a lot of talk about gassing but this guy was supposed to be a professional using corni keg using a Belgium light beer kit waited for 2 weeks after fermentation emptied into the keg purged the keg into the fridge left for 1 day then added gelatine purged again at 30psi for 2 days then purged again and set at 12psi left for 2 weeks with all the gas at the same temperature and all my lines in the fridge tried it and getting nothing but foam I know I shouldn’t do what I see sometimes but I suppose it’s a big learning experience i purged the keg and turned the gas of for a day and got a good pour just wondering should I raise the pressure back up to 12psi or go half this
The guy was a professional - a professional what?

There really is a load of rubbish on the internet generally

Lots of people over complicate what really is a simple process because it gets them views and helps them sell whatever it is they are trying to sell you

If you turn your gas off your cornie will keep the pressure it already has

If you gassed it at 30psi a lot of CO2 will have been absorbed into your beer - purging it will just release the CO2 that is in the space between the beer and the top of the keg. There will still be a lot of absorbed CO2 in your beer which is what is causing the foam when you pour

I would not gas any more - pour some off - if it's foam let more gas out - when it stops being mostly foam drink it - if it becomes too flat give it another shot of CO2

Oh, and stop listening to "professionals" on the internet

There is always a lot of trial and error with home brewing sometimes learning on the job as well. there is loads of advice on here so people here will give you loads of help and advice to adjust your setup.
Having said that I still have to mess about with brews as their conditions change where I keep my beer is in a large garden shed 3 corny's in a large former larder fridge in colder winter conditions my brews tend to absorb the CO2 much faster. I turn my CO2 off at night for fear of leaks although I never have had one happen, the kegs do keep pressurised nicely. From time to time I got foaming and reduced the beer line width of pipe and extended to 3 metre length to the tap and that helps only down side for me is a slower fill time from the tap.Good luck I don't think your far off with things

Back