Gas setup questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning my first cornie keg set up, and have some newbie questions.

My setup will be CO2 bottle with this regulator from Angel homebrew, which I already have.

The gas line from this regulator will go into my Kegorator through an enlarged drain hole, into a four-way manifold, probably one like this. I have a couple of Amazon vouchers from Christmas, however, so I might buy from on there.

Each output of the manifold will go to one of these.

The output of the secondary regulator will go to a corny gas disconnect.

So, my questions are;

• Will the corny disconnect screw into the Shako regulator or do I need an adapter as I'm assuming the ports on the reg are female?
  • Are the right options for the regulator - NR200L2 0-2 kgf/cm2 and 1/4'' BSP port, if I want the 0-2 bar model and suitable port / thread for the setup above?

Thanks for anyone who can help. @peebee , you use these regs don't you? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cor! I've just come from a regulator thread that mentioned me: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...as-mk4-regulator-connector.84905/#post-865459 - there's a picture of what you want there. A 7/16 JIC to 1/4" BSP adapter, like these http://www.flowfitonline.com/hydrau...6rIhIt-zdouKD8qrbTXjpWOvdIrca4tBoCURkQAvD_BwE. You can also get them along with all the other connectors from Context Pneumatics (better, and cheaper, connectors than JG).

The L2 variant you've chosen of those regulators is just the job.

<EDIT: Here's the part & number on Context:
2BJ0407 1/4" BSPP MALE X 7/16" JIC/UNF FEM SW STEEL 1.86 ea >

Last edited:
JIC, same as UNF, not to be confused with JIS (same as BSP - I've done that!). 7/16" is the real diameter, where as 1/4" ("flare") is a pipe diameter (relates to NPT, etc): I was looking for 1/4" "flare" (no luck) when I came across JIC/UNF (lots of luck!). I never found out if the "flare" matches (37degree on JIC, 45degree seems to be another "flare" angle) but Corny disconnects have a plastic (deformable?) mating surface anyway. Having said that I've an old disconnect with brass mating "flare" surface that's seals no bother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIC_fitting

In the 19th century the Americans struck out on their own with threads (the rest of the world hung onto "British" Whitworth thread types). Causing confusion to this day!

The Context Pneumatics part no. 2BJ0407 is what I use on nearly all my disconnects (not the fragile JG fitting).

<EDIT: Proof?
20200114_075512_WEB.jpg

… I've a mix of pin lock and ball lock Corny kegs hence the "redundant" disconnect on the right. Notice the JIC thread has PTFE tape on it - this was me being silly because the "flare" does the sealing.>

Last edited:
@peebee my shako secondary reg has arrived. I haven't got my gas bottle yet (it's arriving next week) but I had a little look at it and the knob that adjusts the pressure doesn't appear to turn. I didn't want to force it, so just put it back - is it a lift and turn or something, or does it need to be under pressure to turn? My primary reg's knob turns easily in its box.

It's "lift and turn". On the knob only the sleeve rotates, and when the sleeve is lifted (easily pulled out) it will protrude slightly above the rest of the knob and turn easily. When adjusted the knob is locked by pushing the sleeve back in.

Back