Gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi good folks, does anyone know the weight of a full 6.35kg bottle of gas the reason i ask is, when i got mine back iv April it was sowing 50bar it is now showing a tad over 20 bar, i am being told by my supplier i can change it £15-00 but they can't let me have another even if i take a new contract out, i have no way of knowing how much is left in it other than 20 bar and i don't want to run out to find i can't one acheers.

Weigh it. Tare weight is on the side of the bottle. You'll find that the bottle side pressure guage will fluctuate greatly with temp etc.

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of we’re it’s at
36304838-74EC-4775-B537-14EA632A11F0.jpeg

Just weigh it Rod like DD2 said it will have the tare weight on it so anything above that is the liquid gas in the bottle. Your supplier should be able to tell you the weight of gas when full I would think so at least you can have a idea of the weight/percentage of gas remaining

Once the liquid CO2 has all evaporated and been used up then all you're left with is the gas in the bottle. That will go very quickly. You'll know if you're on your last legs as it were because the gauge will drop noticeably as you pull your pints.

How many kegs have you gone through with this bottle? I seem to be on keg #23 from my current bottle and I use it for force carbing, purging headspace, dispensing and pushing cleaning fluid.

If your bottle is at 4C then the pressure required to keep CO2 liquid is about 39 bar. So, if yours is down to 20 then it means there is no liquid CO2 left in cylinder and it will run out very quickly. The volume of the cylinder is roughly 12litres so you have about 0.5 kg of Co2 left.

and if you are going to fill your own sodastream bottle it's best to do that when you first get the cylinder as that way you'll get more CO2 into the sodastream bottle. Especially if you freeze it first. Big sodastream bottle holds enough CO2 to carbonate 60 litres of water. I'd weigh it empty and full and then you'll know your capacity / reserve.

My 6.5 litre co2 bottle is pretty much 20kg when full. Not weighed empty sorry.

I changed my gas bottle last week when the needle was around the same point. I had about 700g of CO2 left when I weighed it.

I got a refill as I’m brewing weekly at the moment, and according to my supplier I was ‘lucky to get a refill at the moment’.

My supplier said as long as you have an account they will be able to supply gas

Latest posts

Back