Gelatin in FV?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying Gelatin as and when needed and trying it in the FV, best technique I believe is to cold crash then add Gelatin (I understand how to mix it) then add to the FV and keep cold for another 48 hours.
The question I have though is will opening the FV and sucking air in to allow adding the gelatin cause any oxygenation problems for bottling?

Just add 1/2 teaspoon gelatin powder to 250ml boiled water cooled to 65c, then pour (without splashing) in the FV and then crash for 2-3 days. The beer will be clearer than if it was just left alone for 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't be concerned about oxygenation.

I was thinking of trying Gelatin as and when needed and trying it in the FV, best technique I believe is to cold crash then add Gelatin (I understand how to mix it) then add to the FV and keep cold for another 48 hours.
The question I have though is will opening the FV and sucking air in to allow adding the gelatin cause any oxygenation problems for bottling?

I use the method below now. Always open the lid of the FV and pour it in as slowly as possible and never had any problems.

The Gelatin Effect | exBEERiment Results!

As long as you have a good process of not splashing over stirring or lifting the lid unless you have to you will not have a problem with 90% of beers. There are a few that do need extra careful treatment regards oxidising them the most common is a NEIPA but as I have said in previous posts the people who are selling these new Pressure fermenting systems are creating a paranoia to sell these items of equipment and the people that are reviewing them too(don't forget some of them have been given the items FOC)
Let me tell you again it is not required as brewers have been making beers with no oxidisation for years and even a NEIPA can be done if extra care is taken. Pressure fermenting has its place but saying that you need this item or you will suffer oxidisation is not true its all about your process.

As long as you have a good process of not splashing over stirring or lifting the lid unless you have to you will not have a problem with 90% of beers. There are a few that do need extra careful treatment regards oxidising them the most common is a NEIPA

Fortunately, you probably won’t want to add Gelatine to an NEIPA

No I agree I would protofloc one and that's as far as I would go but I was just referring to the OP being frightened of causing oxidisation with taking of the lid to add the gelatin and the paranoia/fear created by some homebrewers that frighten new brewers. As you know experience is a matter of time and practice which is why you have never had a problem

No I agree I would protofloc one and that's as far as I would go but I was just referring to the OP being frightened of causing oxidisation with taking of the lid to add the gelatin and the paranoia/fear created by some homebrewers that frighten new brewers. As you know experience is a matter of time and practice which is why you have never had a problem

Oxidation is a real concern with NEIPAs and it doesn't take much to ruin a batch. That's why it's spoken about so often. For the majority of beer styles you needn't worry too much as long as you aren't sloshing things about too much.

Adding gelatin to the FV isn't going to cause any problems.

It's not so much adding to the FV itself that concerns me but the FV has been cold crashed with the lid on tight so once I open it, oxygen will be sucked in, however this is probably minimal but should I be concerned or just crack on?

IF you are concerned put the FV back into a warmer room or raise the temp this should release some of the co2 out of the beer to form a blanket. I would always fine before cold crashing in the future

IF you are concerned put the FV back into a warmer room or raise the temp this should release some of the co2 out of the beer to form a blanket. I would always fine before cold crashing in the future
All the info I have read suggests it should be cold before adding the gelatin

Yes just before cold crashing works for me but here is a copy and paste from a beer journal.
Adding Gelatin to the Beer

There are different schools of thought in regards to when to add gelatin to your beer. Personally, I prefer adding it to the fermentor during the second day of cold crashing prior to packaging, but others may add to the keg prior to serving. There are four main benefits to adding gelatin to the fermentor. It allows brewers who bottle their beer to enjoy the full benefit of gelatin fining, and it removes any further work after packaging. It also gives you a clear beer to rack to the keg so as not to have additional trub to suck out of (a possibly clog) your posts or lines. Finally, it eliminates the possibility of introducing new oxygen into your brew post packaging. But, as we all know, sometimes you forget or you have none at hand during packaging, so the option to add to the keg is there. If this is done, be prepared to suck a good bit of sediment (a pint or two) out of the keg prior to getting to the clear stuff.

Either way, the beer must be cold (34-40 °F) when fining with gelatin. I let the beer crash for 24 hours to drop out the main sediment, then gelatin fine for another 24 hours to allow the very fine sediment to drop out. I do the same regardless of kegging or bottling, as fining with gelatin will have no negative effect on the yeast in suspension needed to bottle condition/prime your beer.

Obviously a American journal with the spelling of some words but do whichever you think suits you as I have said I add just before crashing and it has worked for me
Ps I very rarely Fine my beers nowadays as they do clear pretty quick generally or I make hoppy beers which have a slight initial haze but do clear overtime (I do not fear the slight haze)

@Redgrave_3 @the baron Thanks, I will try my first gelatin addition today and as it is already cold crashed for 24 hours that is what I shall do. It is a blonde ale and I will keg most of it so will drink young so oxygenation hopefully wont be an issue.

Hi,
New to homebrewing after 30 years of rest. I can't "cold crash" my beers to the low temperatures being talked about here but can I still add gelatin to my FV once it has finished fermenting and prior to bottling my beer to allow it to clear.
I bottled 40 pints of Juicy IPA last month and it is still in my garage very cloudy, so I'm looking for ideas to clear any future brews I do. [P.S. They are all kit beers I brew].

Hi,
New to homebrewing after 30 years of rest. I can't "cold crash" my beers to the low temperatures being talked about here but can I still add gelatin to my FV once it has finished fermenting and prior to bottling my beer to allow it to clear.
I bottled 40 pints of Juicy IPA last month and it is still in my garage very cloudy, so I'm looking for ideas to clear any future brews I do. [P.S. They are all kit beers I brew].
I sometime use Chitosan to clear beer, this is supposed to work at warmer temperatures, there are lots of videos on the subject but I do find THIS VIDEO by David Heath very good in that it covers many different fining agents

Hi Trev is the Juicy IPA a hazy one?
Hi Baron,
Do you mean is it meant to be hazy? If so, I really can't answer as the simple answer is I don't know. I watched a video on youtube and it just made me want to buy it ....so I did. Nowhere in the video did it meantion it was hazy so perhaps it's not meant to be.

I sometime use Chitosan to clear beer, this is supposed to work at warmer temperatures, there are lots of videos on the subject but I do find THIS VIDEO by David Heath very good in that it covers many different fining agents
Thanks Galena, a very interesting video

Always use Gelatin in the Keg. After 2 days of conditioning i de pressurize using the schrader valve, remove the lid, and add a sachet of Gelatin that has been prepared by leaving in a pint of pre boiled warm water for 20 mins, then heated up stirring constantly (dont boil) tip it into the Keg, replace the lid, then re pressurize via the schrader valve. Then i release the CO2 again (this way your purging out any O2) Then finally put a bit more CO2 in. Job done, and the beer will drop clear within 4 days, and i've never had any problems with this method.

Back