Gelatin in FV?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be fining for the first time this weekend and I can't cold crash either.
It's a lager and I want it crystal clear. It's been brewing in my cellar at approx 12c and I am planning on very gently swirling the beer with a spoon and just adding some gelatin dissolved in boiled water. Then put the lid back on and leave it 48 hours before bottling - again at approx 12c in the cellar.

Will this work?
Bloomin hope so or I'll have wrecked 17l of mandarina lager!

Make sure the water is hot 50-65c and not boiling when you add the gelatin and not boiling - or you will make jelly.

Gelatin will speed up the process of clearing the beer at any temperature - cooling the beer will also speed it up further. The longer you leave it before bottling the clearer it will be.

I only really fine beers that I'm going to serve to friends & family as soon as they're done. Anything that I know I'll be mostly drinking I don't bother as I don't mind pouring myself a couple of murky pints before the beer clears. Time will clear the beer - gelatin and low temps just get you there quicker.

Make sure the water is hot 50-65c and not boiling when you add the gelatin and not boiling - or you will make jelly.
Cheers, yes made some up yesterday having watched a few tutorials, some that omit to tell you that. I added to cold water, left for 30 mins or so and then microwaved a few seconds at a time to get to 65C stirring with the thermometer. I did have to open the already cold crashed beer which of course sucked air in, so I am hoping being a Blonde to drink young it won't have any ill affect.

I've been doing this since my 5th or 6th brew for most things I brew. I started out just using the fridge and now I've got the inkbird attached I can do it in a more controlled fashion. When I move from fermenting temp to cold crash I just remove the airlock and bung up the hole with cling film tape down some foil or clingfilm over the bung hole and drop the temp. After 24 hours or so I pitch the gealtin solution in and give another 24-48 hours.

My understanding is the beer must be cold, the effect is lessened if you don't chill the beer down to 2-4c. If its not cold enough then it won't drop the proteins that cause the chill haze out of the beer.

I don't do it for everything some Complex beers like Dubbel or Christmas Ale I let mature naturally as I'm less concerned about clarity and more concerned about taste with these. I wouldn't do it with an NEIPA either as I don't see the point and NEIPA oxidises very easily to the risk outweighs the benefit in my opinion.

When I move from fermenting temp to cold crash I just remove the airlock and bung up the hole with cling film tape down some foil or clingfilm over the bung hole and drop the temp. After 24 hours or so I pitch the gealtin solution in and give another 24-48 hours.
Well you must be getting air dragged in then, so it's good to know you have had no oxygenation issues. My method was the same only I sealed the FV with a cap.
y understanding is the beer must be cold, the effect is lessened if you don't chill the beer down to 2-4c. If its not cold enough then it won't drop the proteins that cause the chill haze out of the beer.
That is my understand too, though those that don't seem to still seem to be successful.
I have just bought some cornies and it seems to be a popular way to add gelatin to the keg so that you can purge any oxygen, I would have thought though that having a load of debris and gelatin at the bottom of the keg would not be desirable.

Well you must be getting air dragged in then, so it's good to know you have had no oxygenation issues. My method was the same only I sealed the FV with a cap.

Almost certainly, but as I've said before Beer doesn't last long enough in my house to oxidize :D

That is my understand too, though those that don't seem to still seem to be successful.

That's the rub isn't it. Gelatin doesn't do anything that good process, time and proper conditioning won't do it just speeds the process up..

Well I kegged it yesterday with just 2 and a half bottles. I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the result as it came out of the FV, very hazy. After a night indoors the PET is now as clear as a bell though, so I guess it must have been chill haze. Is this normal with gelatin?

Last few brews I've stayed adding gelatine to bottling bucket. Put priming sugar in a sauce pan, just enough hot water (just off boil) to dissolve it. Sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon of gelatine on top. Put lid back on pan and let it stand for a few mins. Give it a quick swirl and pour into beer in bottling bucket. Bottles stand in boxes by radiator for 2 weeks, then into garage (unheated). So far every brew done this way has been crystal clear. I use protofloc in kettle too. Prior to using gelatine I certainly had some beautifully clear brews, but occasional batches would take ages to clear....literally months.

Stuart, I've misinterpreted your message above [Possible typo] "Last few brews I've stayed adding gelatine" so could you pl clarify for me please.
Do you make your beers from fresh or from kits? I use kits and just wonder if that makes a difference.
Are you basically saying that when it comes to bottling, you transfer your beer from one FV to another, taking it all off the deposit that has already fallen. Then, in your second FV, is that where you put your priming sugar and gellatin? If so, how long does it stay in the second FV before you actually bottle your beer and stand in boxes by radiator for 2 weeks.
At present, I brew for 2 weeks, bottle and place in my small boiler cupboard for another 2 weeks before placing out in my garage. Unfortunately, my last brew I mad [Juicy IPA] was not clearing well, hence my original question about gelatin. Thankfully, after bringing it back indoors for another 2 weeks, it has decided to clear.

Sorry...should read "started"!!

I've not been brewing long, and work from whole grain. Started by buying a kit, but then moved over to just buying ingredients separately.

Once fermentation is finished, I syphon into a bottling bucket, which is just a FV with a tap. I leave as much as the yeast etc behind as possible. I then add gelatine / priming sugar to this bucket, give it a quick stir and then transfer to bottles, so it's only in the second bucket for an hour or so.

I do it this way as you can add priming sugar to the whole batch. I know some people bottle straight from the FV, but this means that you have to add sugar to each individual bottle, which I find a pain.

Before I started using gelatine, clarity was a bit hit and miss. Some brews would take weeks to clear, but some would just take a few days. My impression is that a teaspoon of gelatine really does make the process more consistent.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that Stuart, it does help a lot and I am going to try the gelatin in the brew I've got going at present.
What also confused me was the fact that I had read before that people who use gelatin "Cold Crashed" their beers and this is something that was just not possible for me so I will try your method next time.

The way to think of Gelatine is “powdered time”. Although it helps to clear beer qkicker, It’s unlikely to get your beer any clearer than it would have got eventually anyway.
If you can’t cold crash in the FV after adding it there will be some of the proteins and Gelatine in solution when you package it so you can effectively then just cold crash the keg or the bottles.

The way to think of Gelatine is “powdered time”. Although it helps to clear beer qkicker, It’s unlikely to get your beer any clearer than it would have got eventually anyway.
If you can’t cold crash in the FV after adding it there will be some of the proteins and Gelatine in solution when you package it so you can effectively then just cold crash the keg or the bottles.

This is true! The 1st few brews I did cleared beautifully, the I had one that just stayed murky for weeks. I started drinking it, tasted absolutely fine but I'm not a big fan of cloudy beer. I put the last dozen bottles to one side an forgot about them, so the spent last winter in my unheated garage. I dug them our about this time last year....beautifully clear and really nice taste.

I think virtually any beer will clear eventually.....I really dont know why some take ages!

Bottled sunday evening using my gelatine method.....
20210421_150539.jpg

Well this one's going to challenge the gelatine! Brew Dog Punk IPA clone made according to their recipe with an "insane" amount of hops. Dry hopped before, but only with pellets and had no real issues. Getting this into bottling bucket was a nightmare.....siphon hot clogged almost straight away. After clearing it for about the 5th time I ended up hastily sanitizing a muslin bag, used it to line another bucket and tipping about 2/3 of contents of FV in. Lifted up bag and let it drain. Loads of bits from 1st attempts to syphon, and loads of yeast in suspension after tipping through muslin. So much fading around I wouldnt be surprised if It was infected.

If gelatine clears this it will clear anything!!
20210421_191419.jpg

Why is NEIPA more prone to oxidation? Its something I have never been aware of when brewing.
I do brew (kits) in a pressure barrel so I guess the CO2 is contained better. CO2 is more dense than Oxygen so unless one is silly the beer will have a blanket layer protecting it anyway.
Re clearing -the beer I have had most trouble with is TR Cwtch that does take an age to clear and its sediment is very easily disturbed, but I am reluctant to add any extras to my beer - bit like trying to garden organically I suppose.

Why is NEIPA more prone to oxidation? Its something I have never been aware of when brewing.
I do brew (kits) in a pressure barrel so I guess the CO2 is contained better. CO2 is more dense than Oxygen so unless one is silly the beer will have a blanket layer protecting it anyway.
Re clearing -the beer I have had most trouble with is TR Cwtch that does take an age to clear and its sediment is very easily disturbed, but I am reluctant to add any extras to my beer - bit like trying to garden organically I suppose.

Gases mix more readily than that. NEIPAs are particularly sensitive due to the massive amount of hop polyphenols.

Back