General election & new Labour government thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which party will you vote for

• Labour

• Conservative

• Reform

• Green

• SNP

• Lib Dem

• Still on the fence.

• Plaid cymru

• Local Independant

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't get it. We're an island and we've taken control of our borders, we're not part of Shengen so why don't we know how many immigrants, illegal or otherwise have come into our country?
It's called Schrödinger's border.

On the one hand, Brexit was a complete success. We took back control of our borders, customs and fixed immigration like we were promised.

On the other hand, immigration is huge problem and it's all because of the EU controlling our borders and allowing a flood of immigrants in and/or Brexit achieved nothing

Pick and mix your truths.

On the one hand, Brexit was a complete success. We took back control of our borders, customs and fixed immigration like we were promised.

On the other hand, immigration is huge problem and it's all because of the EU controlling our borders and allowing a flood of immigrants in and/or Brexit achieved nothing

I get it. Both are true, but they can't both be observed at the same time.
So this was imposed on us by Copenhagen and not by Brussels, then. :laugh8:

Perhaps it’s just correlation rather than causation, but it’s noticeable that the numbers of small boat crossings have increased a lot since 2016.

Perhaps it’s just correlation rather than causation, but it’s noticeable that the numbers of small boat crossings have increased a lot since 2016.
Probably no correlation at all then given that's twice as long ago as Brexit was.

I think you'll find that's because he's the biggest (hateful gobshite) demon in British politics. It's entirely deserved. He's a white supremacist in a tweed jacket.
That’s your opinion. That’s fine. But prove he’s a white supremacist. Where is your evidence. Anyone can make the most extraordinary claims but without evidence they’re just gobshites.

1718553667085.png

Agreed, though still a long way to go, I find myself in the awkward position of hoping some tories win so as reform don't get elected. 🤣
I am having a similar dilemma 😂

But on a serious note and government needs an effective opposition to keep them honest. If R*form win votes from the Tories and it results in an enormous landslide, then the effective monopoly can only be bad for the public.

I heard to that Farrage is attend a campaign fund raiser, in London, for Donald Trump.
Birds of a feather.....

This sums it up perfectly - “This is tittle-tattle of little importance. I don’t think anyone can suggest he’s not putting his heart and soul into this campaign.”

Nigel Farage will not be distracted from the General Election by campaigning for Donald Trump, Reform UK has said, after its leader attended a London fundraiser for the US presidential candidate.

Mr Farage, who is standing as a candidate in Clacton, was pictured arriving at the event in Chelsea, west London, on Wednesday night, with guests including Mr Trump’s son, Donald Jr.

Tickets for the fundraiser cost up to 100,000 dollars (£78,000), the Financial Times reported.

Asked whether Mr Trump’s event could interfere with Mr Farage’s own campaign efforts, a Reform party spokesperson said: “What Nigel gets up to is his call. It would be absurd to suggest he’s not concentrating on the campaign.

“We’ve got over 600 candidates running in this election – I’m utterly uninterested in what Nigel wants to do on one night.

“He’s doing a fantastic job on the campaign.

“This is tittle-tattle of little importance. I don’t think anyone can suggest he’s not putting his heart and soul into this campaign.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...ce-nigel-farage-financial-times-b1164025.html

Last edited:
I am having a similar dilemma 😂

But on a serious note and government needs an effective opposition to keep them honest. If R*form win votes from the Tories and it results in an enormous landslide, then the effective monopoly can only be bad for the public.
The poll @pilgrimhudd posted has reform on 12seats while the tories have 83.
Reform would struggle to create an opposition on that few seats.

It may have a strong infuence on the next leadership race in the Conservative party, once Sunak has stood down or been forced out.

The poll @pilgrimhudd posted has reform on 12seats while the tories have 83.
Reform would struggle to create an opposition on that few seats.

It may have a strong infuence on the next leadership race in the Conservative party, once Sunak has stood down or been forced out.
I'm not suggesting that Reform would create an opposition. For a start, they'd actually have to take themselves seriously and come up with some actual stances on something other than immigration; rather than being the protest vote.

I'm meaning that if they cut the Tories down to a very low level of MPs, it would mean that there is such a low level of opposition MPs that it means there is no effective opposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back