General election & new Labour government thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which party will you vote for

• Labour

• Conservative

• Reform

• Green

• SNP

• Lib Dem

• Still on the fence.

• Plaid cymru

• Local Independant

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wonder if Nigel Farage will join the Conservative Party after the election. No doubt they will be looking to replace Rishi Sunak at some point and should Nigel Farage throw his hat into the ring it could make a big difference to the popularity of the Tory Party leading up to the election after Labour shows it can't deliver on its promises after they get in.
He has said he will be Tory leader by 2026, jesting or not.
To even be considered as Tory leader he has to be a Tory MP first.

And even though he's a majority shareholder in Reform UK, the great British patriot is off to the US as he's more interested in sucking up to Trump for a job than he is in fighting a British election :
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...l-farage-reform-donald-trump-us-b2552443.html

Also he's not that popular, he's about as popular as Jeremy Corbyn or Nicola Sturgeon, and three points more favourable than Sunak :
1716916427108.png

At 70 and a half I've been voting since Maggie got in.
( No, I didn't vote for her )
TBH I've had enough of them and the system. Same ol' promises that I don't believe they can keep.
I don't vote now since I don't believe in the system and don't want to encourage them.
But is there an alternative?
Is there a movement or group that are working towards an alternative political system?
How much longer can this repetitive mishmash go on?

Is there a movement or group that are working towards an alternative political system?
Lib Dems and Greens have always been in favour of PR as far as I'm aware, so you could vote for them if that is your primary goal. Reform (by their name) are for electoral reform, but as far as I'm aware they've never actually said what that means, so it's a bit of a lottery if you vote that way.

But there are options beyond the two horse system and abstaining

Lib Dems and Greens have always been in favour of PR as far as I'm aware, so you could vote for them if that is your primary goal. Reform (by their name) are for electoral reform, but as far as I'm aware they've never actually said what that means, so it's a bit of a lottery if you vote that way.

But there are options beyond the two horse system and abstaining
Thanks. Appreciate your comments.
I guess I'm just fed up seeing the same ol' promises wheeled year after year by party after party.
I think the politicians are laughing behind our backs that we keep voting for the same system again and again.
Everything changes and nothing changes.
Who said that?

Everything changes and nothing changes.
Who said that?

People are too scared to vote for something radical. So instead we get something moderate.

But that’s the point. The world changes by millimetres at a time, not kilometres. It’s evolution, not revolution.

The only times of rapid change have been industrial revolutions, and the end of large scale wars.

How much longer can this repetitive mishmash go on?

I seem to remember Labour mentioning it but it's obviously not something they think is a big vote winner as no mention now.

As for how long I cannot see it changing any time soon.

Reform (by their name) are for electoral reform, but as far as I'm aware they've never actually said what that means, so it's a bit of a lottery if you vote that way.
The Reform Party are NOT for electoral reform, the are a RIGHT WING POPULIST party. Think Trump and MAGA. They want to get rid of net zero, "reform" the BBC and the Civil Service and any other body who might criticise or oppose them. They would be against proportional representation and anti democratic as they cannot tolerate criticism.
Calling themselves Reform is cynical to say the least.

Proportional representation is something that Labour may consider if they get a large enough majority. The current system does tend to favour the conservative side. I have heard it said that with PR the conservatives would never gain power again. I think it’s what our younger demographic want too.

To even be considered as Tory leader he has to be a Tory MP first.

And even though he's a majority shareholder in Reform UK, the great British patriot is off to the US as he's more interested in sucking up to Trump for a job than he is in fighting a British election :
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...l-farage-reform-donald-trump-us-b2552443.html

Also he's not that popular, he's about as popular as Jeremy Corbyn or Nicola Sturgeon, and three points more favourable than Sunak :
View attachment 100016
Again, I have to point out that one should read the post properly. I have never mentioned this upcoming election but the following election. Also, it is no good to cherry-pick popularity polls, there are plenty of other polls suggesting he is a preferred candidate to lead the Tory Party. Remember it is his influence that swayed the Brexit vote and in his words, he didn't realise that those negotiating on behalf of the UK could be any worse negotiating the Brexit terms worse than those negotiating on behalf of the EU.
Voters get disappointed very quickly, remember the Tories were swamped down with Covid, the mishandling of Brexit, and the war in Ukraine.
The interesting times are yet to come, voters want change and they want it now, good luck to that.

The First Past The Post system has historically favoured the Tories because the progressive vote has been spilt between parties and way in which the Tory vote is spread out across constituencies and the Labour vote is very concentrated in towns and cities. Thatcher never got a majority of the vote in the UK and never got a real mandate for the huge changes she enacted - a good argument in favour of PR (the same argument would apply if it happened form the other side of the political spectrum, but it never has). You would have to win under the current system and then change to a system that would probably mean losing some power, which is probably why politicians when they win office seem less keen on it. You would probably also have to hold a referendum on the issue, and I'm not convinced the British public would vote in favour (given the level of political understanding out there and the fact that much of the press that sets the agenda would fight it hard). Indeed, we had a referendum on the issue for a rather weak form of PR after 2010 and it did not pass. So we are probably lumbered with the current system for the House of Commons.

The House of Lords is perhaps where we could have more reform, given that they are unelected chamber. It was, after all, where labour made reforms last time. And more devolution, which I think would be good.

there are plenty of other polls suggesting he is a preferred candidate to lead the Tory Party.
I'd be very interested if you could provide a link to those polls.
Farage the politician is far less popular than Farage the gob. He ran for UK parliament 7 times and lost by a significant margin every time.
Most conservative voters are fairly moderate and are worried by their party's lurch to the right.

Farrage has never won a general election in the UK, in the seven seats he ran for, he lost everything.
The only election he has won, ironically, are European elections.

Farrage has never won a general election in the UK, in the seven seats he ran for, he lost everything.
The only election he has won, ironically, are European elections.
He wasn't as popular then with the Conservative Party as he is now. And he certainly got what he wanted with the Brexit vote.
I'd be very interested if you could provide a link to those polls.
Farage the politician is far less popular than Farage the gob. He ran for UK parliament 7 times and lost by a significant margin every time.
Most conservative voters are fairly moderate and are worried by their party's lurch to the right.
https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/popularity/politicians-political-figures/all
I am not sure he would make a good prime minister but he would certainly give the parties a good shake up.

Apparently tory members (a tiny, aging, right-wing, proportion of the population), said they would like to see Farrage as next leader.
Seeing you need to be a sitting mp, this seems unlikely.
Also these are the same people who voted Liz Truss as leader.

Apparently tory members (a tiny, aging, right-wing, proportion of the population), said they would like to see Farrage as next leader.
Seeing you need to be a sitting mp, this seems unlikely.
Also these are the same people who voted Liz Truss as leader.
If you were paying attention, we aren't talking about this election

Latest posts

Back