General election & new Labour government thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which party will you vote for

• Labour

• Conservative

• Reform

• Green

• SNP

• Lib Dem

• Still on the fence.

• Plaid cymru

• Local Independant

Results are only viewable after voting.
The really sad thing is that if you look at it from a purely statistical point of view
  • Old people tended to vote leave
  • Young people tended to vote remain
  • Between 2016 and 2020, a of old people died naturally, and a lot of young people became eligible to vote
I don't have the figures to hand, but there are plenty of statistically rigourous examinations of the data on the internet. And if you put all of that together - if exactly the same referendum would have happened and people (who hadn't died and those who had come of voting age) would have voted exactly the same way, the result would have been to remain in the EU.
Although as those younger people age do they move rightwards politically? (I hope not)

He wasn't as popular then with the Conservative Party as he is now. And he certainly got what he wanted with the Brexit vote.

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/popularity/politicians-political-figures/all
I am not sure he would make a good prime minister but he would certainly give the parties a good shake up.
Interesting survey. I should point out that Yougov is not a "government" official survey but a private business co-founded by none other than Nadim Zahawi (sacked by Sunak over his questioable tax affairs) Nevertheless, we've no particular reason to disbelieve it. Popularity, though, doesn't mean people would want him for PM, as I think you suggest.
A good shake up is probably not what British politics needs, especially by another inveterate liar and hate monger; a period of stability and consolidation is the order of the day. Politics isn't armchair entertainment as many seem to think, it's about the governance of people like you and me. We appoint these people to govern on our behalf and we have a right to expect them to put our interests first.

So, what you are claiming that this isn't possible before 2028?
Probably not.

First he would need to leave Reform and join the Tories.

Candidates for leadership of the Conservative Party need to be a sitting MP. Since he’s not standing as a Tory candidate in the GE, he’ll need to rely on there being a by-election for one of the seats and then to be nominated to run in it.

He then needs whoever is Tory leader to stand down. It’s probably more likely that any change would happen immediately after the GE, if the polls are correct about the number of seats they are likely to lose, at which point he wouldn’t be eligible. Whether there’s another change in leader before the next GE isn’t known, the number of leadership changes of the last few years is unusual.

So, yeah, it’s a long shot.

Besides, this thread is about the upcoming GE next month not any future general election.

The Reform Party are NOT for electoral reform, the are a RIGHT WING POPULIST party.
I’m pretty certain that just after the Brexit Party was renamed as Reform their primary policy was electoral reform. Farage hates the FPTP system.

Since Richard Tice took over though it's disappeared from their website and not been mentioned.

I’m pretty certain that just after the Brexit Party was renamed as Reform their primary policy was electoral reform. Farage hates the FPTP system.

Since Richard Tice took over though it's disappeared from their website and not been mentioned.
You're probably right, but I hope people don't vote Reform just because they mistakenly believe their platform is all about electoral reform.
I think we can see why Farridge disliked the present system. 🤣🤣

It's the one area that I agree with Farage.
I took a “vote on policies” quiz a day or 2 after the election was called. It’s a “blind” quiz where they tell you which parties you align best to based on their policies (it was based on 2019 policies) but you don’t find out which policy belongs to which party until the very end.

I was rather disturbed to see I was about 8% Brexit Party or something. In my defence, I was 92% split across the other “left” parties (something like 52% Labour, 26% SNP, 14% Greens). The only area I aligned with them was education and I’m pretty sure all the policies were similar but they had something about removing the degree requirement to get into nursing.

Last edited:
A lot of people wont vote reform because Farage is doing all the talking he may not be the leader but it looks like it if you are not following them closely.

Very interesting thread that has got me thinking.

The Nigel Farage interview puts me in a quandary, I disagree with most of his policies and the way he goes about things, he has a few valid points tho, i agree anyone coming into this country illegally on small boats or by any other method should be refused and deported zero tolerance approach BUT you can only apply this IF there are legal routes to apply for migration from outside the UK (something the Tory's removed). I actually believe in migration if managed correctly to meet the needs of industry and the country as a whole, BUT no one should be allowed access until their application has been approved and they can work and be part of society. This ONLY works if we get the huge backlog of applications down and properly resource this area with right people (look at what has happened over the last 20 years the grades and pay levels of immigration officers has plummeted to save money, the knock on effect is the bottle neck in applications) The logical move would be to create offices in France and other areas to allow applications to be processed before trying to enter the UK.

Farage is tough one as said I do not like his politics, but he is engaging and is more likeable and relatable than most current politicians. Do I think he could be a Prime Minister? doubt it, but never say never and history has shown us the Tory's will do absolutely anything to get and stay in power they are utterly ruthless in that aspect.

Do I think this Election is foregone conclusion? nope no idea how it will play out as the general public are not interested anymore and can see voter turn out being poor

The Diane Abbott mess combined with the stance on Gaza is damaging the Labour votes

Too early to judge detail on policies but that needs meat on the bone soon

Last edited:
Very interesting thread that has got me thinking.

The Nigel Farage interview puts me in a quandary, I disagree with most of his policies and the way he goes about things, he has a few valid points tho, i agree anyone coming into this country illegally on small boats or by any other method should be refused and deported zero tolerance approach BUT you can only apply this IF there are legal routes to apply for migration from outside the UK (something the Tory's removed). I actually believe in migration if managed correctly to meet the needs of industry and the country as a whole, BUT no one should be allowed access until their application has been approved and they can work and be part of society. This ONLY works if we get the huge backlog of applications down and properly resource this area with right people (look at what has happened over the last 20 years the grades and pay levels of immigration officers has plummeted to save money, the knock on effect is the bottle neck in applications) The logical move would be to create offices in France and other areas to allow applications to be processed before trying to enter the UK.

Farage is tough one as said I do not like his politics, but he is engaging and is more likeable and relatable than most current politicians. Do I think he could be a Prime Minister? doubt it, but never say never and history has shown us the Tory's will do absolutely anything to get and stay in power they are utterly ruthless in that aspect.

Do I think this Election is foregone conclusion? nope no idea how it will play out as the general public are not interested anymore and can see voter turn out being poor

The Diane Abbott mess combined with the stance on Gaza is damaging the Labour votes

Too early to judge detail on policies but that needs meat on the bone soon
I really struggle to get My head around the fact that people voted for Boris Johnson. How they could look or listen to the man and believe that he had their best interests at heart. So maybe it's possible that Farage could do the same. Get a catchy slogan, avoid answering questions on topics that really matter. You never know 😂

Apparently tory members (a tiny, aging, right-wing, proportion of the population), said they would like to see Farrage as next leader.
Seeing you need to be a sitting mp, this seems unlikely.
Also these are the same people who voted Liz Truss as leader.
While Farage won't be leader, it will be interesting to see who they do vote for
So, what you are claiming that this isn't possible before 2028?
A number of things would have to happen, for Farage to become leader, which are very unlikely to happen between now and the election in five years time. He has to rejoin the Tories, wait until a by election in a constituency he can win (long wait there), get selected as the candidate, get elected as the MP, be lucky in the sense that whoever takes over after this election is ousted from their job, win over enough MPs to be one of the two candidates put to members, and win over the members. There are a lot of hurdles before the members get their say. A more likely outcome is that the Tories elect another nutter like Braverman. But they will probably end up with someone like the ironically named Cleverly, who holds some insane ideas but is seen as less divisive.

Agree sadly modern politics has become about the personality rather than the policies.

So far Starmer has shied away from the celebrity culture, just need some solid polices properly funded and laid out for pubic scrutiny
I really struggle to get My head around the fact that people voted for Boris Johnson. How they could look or listen to the man and believe that he had their best interests at heart. So maybe it's possible that Farage could do the same. Get a catchy slogan, avoid answering questions on topics that really matter. You never know

Agree sadly modern politics has become about the personality rather than the policies.

So far Starmer has shied away from the celebrity culture, just need some solid polices properly funded and laid out for pubic scrutiny
Elections are not won on the basis of policies as most of the electorate don't know what these are. They are won on the basis of the leader and a perception of who is can be 'trusted' on the economy. The British public generally assume the Tories are 'better' on the economy, which gives the Tories an inbuilt advantage in elections. (I'm not saying they are right about this obvs). Note the word generally - this is no longer true. The fact that Starmer is seen as dull (because the media tells them this) is not a bad thing because the public want calm and careful now. Anyway, that's my take.

I really struggle to get My head around the fact that people voted for Boris Johnson. How they could look or listen to the man and believe that he had their best interests at heart. So maybe it's possible that Farage could do the same. Get a catchy slogan, avoid answering questions on topics that really matter. You never know 😂

Grifters know how to operate.

Although as those younger people age do they move rightwards politically? (I hope not)
This has historically been the case but it is not happening now. People would change their views when they got on the property ladder and started a family. Many young people can't get on the property ladder and are put off starting a family because of the high cost and lack of support.

It would be better if all those thinking of not voting instead went to the polling booths and spoilt their paper, "none of the above" or similar.

The parties could view low turnouts not as a reflection on themselves, but that people don't care about democracy. If you're not bothered about that, look at how the Tories have just behaved with an 80 majority and imagine what politics would look like if there were no accountability at all. We need more control over them, not less.

I've probably moved nearer the centre right as I've got older (more around tax policies I'd like implemented more than anything) - I think taxation in this country is massively unfair. As I keep saying, £50k sounds like a lot of money to many, but teachers are now getting wrapped up in 40% tax and I don't think many would argue that they're overpaid (if you think they are, ask a teacher - they do not get 13 weeks holiday and only work 9-3:30)

But I work in an office where we are all over 50. 3 are over 60. None of us will be voting Tory. I'm not sure any ever have.

I don't understand why F*rage gets so much news coverage. He's not an MP. He's not running for election. He's not running a campaign or a party and he doesn't offer any useful insights - he just whinges about things.

Essentially he's completely irrelevant, yet gets more coverage than party leaders. He must have a lot of friends in news outlets.

M
I don't understand why F*rage gets so much news coverage. He's not an MP. He's not running for election. He's not running a campaign or a party and he doesn't offer any useful insights - he just whinges about things.

Essentially he's completely irrelevant, yet gets more coverage than party leaders. He must have a lot of friends in news outlets.
It happens here as well, unelected people seem to have more of a say. They are called unionist/nationalist commentators

Latest posts

Back