Geordie Lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan1321

Reaction score
I have just given up on this kit, was hoping you guys may be able to help

Pitched with a 1.2kg bag of brew enhancer LME.
I forgot to take the OG
The FG was supposed to be 1005

It got too 1020 but would not drop after 3 weeks so I pitched some yeast enhancer and left half week no change, so I pitched a two tsp of yeast and it dropped too 1010 after another 2 weeks.

Temps were always ideal at about 22 degrees never dropped below 18 but average was 22 every time I checked.

Taste test failed it was discustingly sweet & did not represent a flat lager at all so I have binned the batch unfortunately.
What could have caused this?

I forgot to take the OG

It got too 1020 but would not drop after 3 weeks so I pitched some yeast enhancer and left half week no change, so I pitched a two tsp of yeast and it dropped too 1010 after another 2 weeks.

Temps were always ideal at about 22 degrees never dropped below 18 but average was 22 every time I checked.

Taste test failed it was discustingly sweet & did not represent a flat lager at all so I have binned the batch unfortunately.
I brewed this kit last year, left it in the keg out in the garage and genuinely forgot about it over the winter. It was excellent once chilled on the fridge.
I hate to say it, but you may have been a little hasty in discarding it. In my opinion, nothing normally tastes great out of the fermenter (except maybe stouts), and carbonation and chilling will, I would have thought, massively change your perception of it.

I would agree, brewing takes time, but most important it seems is the temperature, too hot and a bitter after taste, too cool and it can get other things growing instead of the yeast, I found around 19 deg C to start, and after five days it can rise to 24 deg C without the bitter after taste, if the temperature does go high, leaving it in the bottles longer can remove some after taste.

I stuck a thermometer on the fermenters, but this shows an average between room temperature and brew temperature, putting a sensor under a sponge pressed against the fermenter seems a lot better, the insulation of the sponge means closer to true brew temperature, the old stick on often shows 24 degs during the day, and 17 degs C at night, but the sensor shows really a steady 21 degs.

So a stick on thermometer showing 22 degs C in a room at 26 degs C could mean brew really at 17 or 18 degs C, and at 17 likely will not ferment, may ferment at 18 and will work well at 19 measured in centre of brew. I found under a sponge pressed against side of fermenter it was within one degree of what it is centre of brew, in most cases within 0.5 of a degree.

I can no longer cool my brew, don't have a brewing fridge any more, so have to pick some cool days to start it, but heating I use an 18 watt demo under floor heating tile, with a thermostat control, in winter I use an old jacket with air lock through the neck.

Hi all
I did this as my first home
I use the kit plus 1kg of brewing sugar, made 23L
I did brew at 24-30degrees (started my first brew in the middle of a heat wave in my shed)
Bottle Conditioned for 14days before opening first bottle

Result:
Its a drinkable larger
It’s does have a tangy fruity aftertaste.

Wondering if anyone has used this kit before and noticed a tangy taste?
The back of the pack describes the larger taste a “tangy continental taste” (whatever that means) or have I brewed at a too high temperature and got come acetylaldehydes and higher alcohols in my beer?

Hi all
I did this as my first home
I use the kit plus 1kg of brewing sugar, made 23L
I did brew at 24-30degrees (started my first brew in the middle of a heat wave in my shed)
Bottle Conditioned for 14days before opening first bottle

Result:
Its a drinkable larger
It’s does have a tangy fruity aftertaste.

Wondering if anyone has used this kit before and noticed a tangy taste?
The back of the pack describes the larger taste a “tangy continental taste” (whatever that means) or have I brewed at a too high temperature and got come acetylaldehydes and higher alcohols in my beer?
Mine tasted slightly of tangy apple, but I actually found that to be quite pleasant.

Mine tasted slightly of tangy apple, but I actually found that to be quite pleasant.
Yes it’s is mild tangy apple taste
Its not unpleasant and totally drinkable

I wonder if this is the intended flavour or due to acetylaldehyde? I hear that has a apple flavour

Overall for my first brew I’m quite please with the outcome

Yes it’s is mild tangy apple taste
Its not unpleasant and totally drinkable

I wonder if this is the intended flavour or due to acetylaldehyde? I hear that has a apple flavour

Overall for my first brew I’m quite please with the outcome
Good question. I don't know enough about that sort of thing, but I imagine there's someone on here who would know.
It's good to hear your first brew is drinkable and hopefully you'll have many more to come 🙂

I forgot to take the OG

In 50+ years of kit making, I have never got to the point of throwing beer away, I usually find with a little patience, everything improves with age.

In 50+ years of kit making, I have never got to the point of throwing beer away, I usually find with a little patience, everything improves with age.
Likewise. I’ve only been ‘brewing’ for about 3 years or so, but I’ve found that if it tastes a bit ‘wrong’, then leave it a while longer, and it will usually improve.

Latest posts

Back