Geordie Scottish Export Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope I dont offend Dunfie :D :cheers: Both Gerodie kits I did were shocking, hence the same review for both.

I purchased this kit as a cheap brew to put in the keg, I think it was on offer for around £9 - £10.

To date this is one of the worse kits I have ever done. From the off it did not have a very nice smell while mixing up so I did not have high hopes for this one.

Primed with 85g of sugar in the keg and left for two weeks before testing. Pouring the first pint I noticed a very strong yeast smell, I managed around ½ a pint and that was my lot. Returned to the keg around four weeks later with the brew now being six weeks old, and it tasted the same, if not worse.

One thing I have learnt is to give brews time but with this one I knew it was not going to get any better.

The brew was very watery and had a strong smell of yeast. I poured 39 pints of this brew down the sink.

Wish I paid a few more pounds and picked up a coopers kit.

I've just started brewing and this was my second kit, I dont profess to be a connoisseur at all but found this one to be very nice actually. it was easy to make and i used dextrose rather than sugar, but the end result after 3 weeks in a keg is very drinkable.

i think this is what members call a 'session beer' but i'm looking forward to bringing a few friends round to try this out. its certainly something i'm proud of.

i'm looking forward to drinking the rest of the keg, at a guess i'd say its around 4-4.5% but i didnt think to take an initial reading on the hydrometer so its purely anecdotal.

I did this a kit some time last year and it tasted terrible. Each time I tasted it I'd think it wasn't ready yet and leave it for another few weeks but it still tasted awfull. I gave it all to a neighbour(complete dipso) who was going to a music festival and he drank it down over the weekend. His review was that "It was bloody strong" as for flavour, the jury is still out. These kits are the cheapest out there and are fine if you dont mind the taste issues. I would not brew a Geordie kit again if it was given to me for free. There are other kits available for a few pounds/Euros more that far exceed these kits for quality.
I also did the Geordie mild for a mate and this was best described as "lacklustre" :(
Sorry to be so negative but Im just being honest.

Hi
had this kit in me keg for about 5 weeks now and i have to say im amazed how nice its turned out especially when it only cost me 8 quid from wilkos with free sugar,i did short brew to 20l tho. A rather pale malty brew with a slight taste of honey and a pure white head which stays all the way to the bottem of the glass and none of that homebrew twang either.

cheers!

I'm about to get one of these on the go as I do every Autumn. I love it, one of my favourite kits, and I've never had a problem with this or any other Geordie kits. I always just use packet sugar to both ferment & prime, always bottle, and this has always turned out a quite light, butter-Scotch tasting bitter. Perfect for a late Autumn night in front the fire! I've never experienced the over-powering tastes that contributors are describing.

Dunfie said:
Geordie Scottish Export Review

Note: This was the first kit I made - in 1987. :cheers:

Same here :thumb: We always brewed it with two bags of Tate and Lyle, and at the time I didn't have crown caps, just the red plastic ones so it was never that lively, but it did get me into the groove, and sometimes the gutter :) at the tender age of 14. Sometimes I am tempted to give it another go, but then again with all the advances and lovely kits out there would I want to spend all that time and effort to make a lacklustre kit that I'd want to get down and move onto the next one...

I got two of these in a batch of crud that someone conned me into buying (broken brewing kit, old knackered buckets, milk bottles etc) and they are 8 years out of date. So rather than chuck them I intend to change the yeast chuck in some hops and malt extract and see if I can make something out of them. Doing the same with the third can I got with them which was a lager. Mind you if I open them and they are obviously bad they will go straight to the drain! :sick:

60th Brew 8 years past its BBE date Geordie Scottish Export. Added 500g of medium spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar. Chucked the original yeast away and used fresh Wilko Gervin Ale yeast instead. OG around 1040/42 and taste before pitch, smooth, malty sweetish and very nice, pitched at 22 degrees. Other notes on this: was not sure that this old tin would be ok so was pleased at the lovely smell of the wort. The inside of the tin was very dark but when rinsed cleared and showed no sign of damage or rust etc. the wort itself was very dark and smelt lovely, malty and coffee like. I have not made this kit before so cannot say whether it is darker than normal although I understand that wort does darken over time. This is Beer A as I have another tin of the same stuff and will do that one slightly differently. This one though will be left for 7 days for initial fermentation and then I will add a Goldings hop tea for a further 7 days.

After 7 days in the fermenter the big foam has died down and been replaced with surface bubbles although it still looks lively. Last night I add 12g of Goldings in one of those hop teas, leave for 10 minutes in a cup of boiling water. The goldings was interesting for me as I am experimenting with different hops. This one smelt like the water after cooking peas or like a vegetable soup/stock. After I put it into the beer the cup smelt quite spicy which goldings is supposed to be along with slightly floral. Will be interesting to see if and how it affects the smell taste of the beer after another 7 days.

In the other Geordie I am using Fuggles to get a comparison.

Got some Amarillo hops too and am going to add these to a Milestones Green man that. I am brewing at the moment.

Bottled this on the 29th Nov 2014. At bottling the beer was a nice colour, dark red/brown and much darker than others reported but then again 8 more years in the tin than recommended would probably do that!

Taste at bottling was not bad. A bit sour and a bit "woody" but that might be the effect of the Goldings hop add I did. Be interested to see how this turns out in a few weeks time. Currently in the dinning room for secondary fermentation.

This has been in the bottle for a week and a half. Tested this before sending to the Garage and at this stage it is a lovely coloured beer with quite good carbonation and taste...still a bit woody but is a real nice traditional beer. Not going to win prizes but pretty ok none the less.

Latest posts

Back