Geordie Winter Warmer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarconiBrew

Reaction score
So, my first brew of this year, which is my second brew ever. I'm doing Geordie Winter Warmer, half brewing sugar and half spray malt. I'm using the water bucket temperature control which is doing a very good job keeping the brew at 20c.

I started the brew on new years day and the cold water jacket managed to get the temperature down cool enough to add the yeast. By the end of the next day the brew had a nice thick foam on it which died down after a few days.

I've not touched it since but I did a hydrometer reading today, it's measuring 1.012 which I'd have thought would be lower by now as this coming week should be for it to clear rather than to continue to ferment. I'll of course see how the reading drops by next week.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Generally it is good practice to leave a brew in the fermenter for 2 weeks. If it is at 1.012 after a week then it is nearly there and should come down the last few points in the second week. It is normal for the fermentation process to be rapid at first and then slow down as FG is approached. This is why it's a good idea to leave it until it's done and confirmed by a hydrometer reading rather than rely on airlock activity ceasing or going by the kit instructions.

It's now been two weeks, the gravity is still 1.012. I guess that's that? Weak brew? Problem with it?

Hmm ok, that makes sense, maybe for some reason the SG should have been a little higher but it wasn't, but now perhaps there's no more sugars left to be fermented?

Last edited:
if it has been at the same reading for a week it's time to bottle/keg/whatever takes your fancy.
hope it turns out tasty.

So, yes based on the calculation, the beer is as strong as the kit says it will be, so I've barrelled it. Nice dark colour from the spray malt, just looked a bit cloudy/sedimenty at the bottom of the FV.

So, what I've done, is put the barrel in the garage now to crash cool is as I've read somewhere that helps it clear, for a week or two?

IMAG6016.jpg
IMAG6017.jpg

Also, if cold crashing now that it's barreled isn't a good idea, someone let me know and I'll bring it back indoors. Thanks.

Edit: I'm still new to this, just read that this should have been done in the FV before secondary, so I've brought it back indoors.

Last edited:
Don’t worry it will be fine, ,am guessing you added priming sugar to the barrel before racking ? Just place the barrel where you fermented the beer in the first place, preferably, leave a couple of weeks , then put in the garage to condition for as long as can, will definitely get better the longer you leave it, I would leave it alone for at least four weeks then get stuck in. Hope this brew goes down well , would be interested how it turns out acheers.

Latest posts

Back