Geordie Yorkshire Bitter kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Automedon

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with the Geordie Yorkshire Bitter kit? I got it as the Winter Warmer turned out pretty good, but this seems a very different kettle of fish. Still fermenting well over 10 days in and it's been happy at 20 degrees. Looks somewhat weak as well... the Festival kit on the other hand smells divine, and a quick taste last night backs that up even further. All ideas and criticism welcome...

Chris

I've not tried the Geordie kit, but have you measured the specific gravity with a hydrometer? If it's not below the target final gravity, then it might just be taking it's sweet time.

If it has dropped well below then there may be something else going on...

I have indeed been using the hydrometer. It should finish at 1.005 but currently gravity is at 1.020 (if I remember correctly). It just looks distinctly murky as well... perhaps I'm overthinking it, but it's an odd one!

Chris

I'm not sure on the science of it, but 1.020 is a typical value for sticking of fermentation. I had this on a Wilko Cerveza I brewed. In my case I think the fact that the yeast was out of date contributed.

What I did was to very gently rouse the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter back into suspension by rocking it. Then I gently warmed it to around 24C. This got it going again.

That said, if your brew is obviously still fermenting, then I think patience is probably the best way forward.

I was back in the UK two years ago and bought a Geordie Bitter kit in Wilko's just because I could, it's a "tourist" thing. I haven't touched a kit since ... the entire brew went out for fertilizer ... it was grim. Probably Wilko's fault though, the kits were sat on a nice warm shelf and the yeast was far from its best.

I'm going to say that the yeast was probably a little old. This probably lead to underpitching.

Adjust the fermentation temperature by two degrees or so and gently agitate the fermentor to rouse the yeast. Try to avoid opening it and checking it too much.

10 days isn't a particularly long time. I tend to leave all of my beer in the primary fermenter for three weeks, whether it's ready or not.

Latest posts

Back