Geordie Yorkshire Bitter Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex_Lad

Regular.
Reaction score
I purchased this kit as a cheap brew to put in the keg, I think it was on offer for around £9 - £10.

To date this is one of the worse kits I have ever done. From the off it did not have a very nice smell while mixing up so I did not have high hopes for this one.

Primed with 85g of sugar in the keg and left for two weeks before testing. Pouring the first pint I noticed a very strong yeast smell, I managed around ½ a pint and that was my lot. Returned to the keg around four weeks later with the brew now being six weeks old, and it tasted the same, if not worse.

One thing I have learnt is to give brews time but with this one I knew it was not going to get any better.

The brew was very watery and had a strong smell of yeast. I poured 39 pints of this brew down the sink.

Wish I paid a few more pounds and picked up a coopers kit.

Got some of this on the go at the moment, brewed to full 40 pints and used 500grams medium spray malt and 600grams of brewing sugar. O.g 1042 F.g 1012
Primed with 90 grams of brewing sugar and has been in the keg just over 7 weeks. It has good carbonation but as Essexlad said is a bit watery, could do with brewing short or using 1kg of spraymalt for a bit more body

Should have read these reviews before making this one up... lol.

Just made up using 1kg brew enhancer and 330g golden sugar. Weird thing was that the og was only 1.032. I'm guessing it hadn't all mixed in correctly. But it was nicely aerated, so must've been that the enhancer had clumped together at some parts, but thought I had mixed it well enough... If I'd have read this before, would've brewed to 20l possibly... Hopefully one of the kegs will be empty by the time it finishes :) And hopefully it won't taste so bad! Altho was only just under £10 for the whole brew thanks to tesco sale :)

Hi.

Sampled my geordie york bitter last night,its been in the keg for 3 weeks now, it tastes very nice ,brewed with 500g of med spraymalt an 500g of brewing sugar,primed with dark brown sugar,still needs to clear abit more tho.forgot to mention that i short brewed it to 20l.so im very happy all in all :cheers:

Well, kegged this one yesterday. Put it in the king keg with 105g sugar. Been brewing for quite a while, as hadn't gotten around to finishing it. It'd fermented at 20'c for 2 weeks, and a further week at around 12'c as cold crash. Which didn't seem to work very well, as was still a bit cloudy.

Og was weirdly low (1.032). Was mixed thoroughly as far as I was concerned. And with 1kg brew enhancer and 330g of sugar, would think should be at least 1.040. Fg came out at 1.009. Well, the taster i had from the tasting jar (and a quick mouthful I poured to ensure that it wasn't carbonating too much and to see how it was clearing :p) was very nice. Had a sweet kind of taste, and looking forward to trying this in a month(if can hold on that long)

Sampled this brew this weekend. It tastes ok holds it's head down the glass slight nutty taste with a bitterness. SG 1044 final 1012 came out @4.2%.

I'm surprised this brew is drinkable as i have had problems with my valve. It has had co2 then lost it three times. Been mucked about with the barrel cap off and on and now i have sorted the problem it is still quite a nice dry bitter. I would buy again too.

Just been given a can of this, my mate bought 2 from Tesco when their sale was on, brewed one and it was awful so he gave me the other. Worth brewing for nowt I guess...

i started brewing this on 6th october and kegged it on wednesday, looks good though very cloudy should settle over the coming weeks. smell fairly nice but taste very bitter again hopefully this will mature a bit.
so just waiting now to try in mid november, fingers crossed as this is my first ever brew.
have told swmbo i will be doing a coopers next as they have better feedback and i dont want to be put of home brewing if this comes out under par, but what do you expect for £11 at wilkinsons lol :lol:
for a start i used normal sugar in this brew as i hadnt found this forum when i first brew this i now have a bag of brewing sugar standing for the next brew and the wife bought me something home called finings??? it seems i have lots to learn.

brewingstuart said:
i started brewing this on 6th october and kegged it on wednesday, looks good though very cloudy should settle over the coming weeks. smell fairly nice but taste very bitter again hopefully this will mature a bit.
so just waiting now to try in mid november, fingers crossed as this is my first ever brew.
have told swmbo i will be doing a coopers next as they have better feedback and i dont want to be put of home brewing if this comes out under par, but what do you expect for £11 at wilkinsons lol :lol:
for a start i used normal sugar in this brew as i hadnt found this forum when i first brew this i now have a bag of brewing sugar standing for the next brew and the wife bought me something home called finings??? it seems i have lots to learn.

I'll tell you what this brew has been in my barrel for nearly three weeks. I strted supping it the last two weeks and the taste is improving. It has a nice toffee taste now. Like you i brewed with ordinary tate n Lyle.
And as the flavour improves when kept i would have no hesitation to buy again. If your waiting to try in mid November it should be very nice, don't know if mine will last that long thou. Let us all know what you think.
Regards.
CIB

cask is best said:
brewingstuart said:

I'll tell you what this brew has been in my barrel for nearly three weeks. I strted supping it the last two weeks and the taste is improving. It has a nice toffee taste now. Like you i brewed with ordinary tate n Lyle.
And as the flavour improves when kept i would have no hesitation to buy again. If your waiting to try in mid November it should be very nice, don't know if mine will last that long thou. Let us all know what you think.
Regards.
CIB

I will let you all know, next kit i do i will take the hydro readings ect at the beginning and do a proper review.

stu

Bought this kit a few weeks ago, so you can imagine my unbridled joy when I got home and read the reviews on here so far.

Kit cost £10. Brewed it with 500g medium spry malt and brown sugar. Fermented in only a few days and also cleared quickly. The end result was a very smooth sesh beer. A little thin I admit and not very strong (my fault, didn’t put enough fermentable’s in). Tasting ok after about 2 weeks, If your after a quick brewing, cheep sesh beer and your not a beer snob then this will do the job. would brew with 1kg of spray malt next time.

Verdict = cheep, fast to brew, easy to drink. :drink:

i must admit having given mine time to mature and settle it is a very drinkable beer, i was very surprised how good it
is with only costing £10.
If i brew this again i will short brew slightly to give it a bit more flavour.

7/10 is my verdict....

My experience is this is a kit that needs a lot of time. Enjoyable after that time though!

This is what I used to brew 25yrs ago when I was 15. We used to just go with 2 bags of Tate and Lyle and get battered on it. But credit where it's due it got me into brewing and gave me a heads up on sterilising. We never made a dud batch, and I got all nostalgic when I spotted it in Wilkos which again triggered my interest. Scottish Export was my favourite if I remember.

Same as you Brewbob. I used to do this one years ago. Did the job!

Now ,I have come back to brewing just recently, and a lot of gear and brand names are new. Geordie is still there though. I bought a Bitter kit, just for old-times sake. I shall brew it short(I always used to, but 'short' is a term I discovered here), and it is next in line. I have been using Coopers( another new name to me)with very good results. Lookin' forward to the Geordie though.

Just bottled my first attempt, brewed with brewing sugar and i have primed half of the bottles with brewing sugar , the other half with normal sugar.
Now the hard part is leaving it for 2 weeks to settle and hopefully clear, it seems cloudy at the minute but in time i hope it will clear
This is my first attempt at brewing and cant wait to get another brew on

Latest posts

Back