German Pils - water profile

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben034

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a German Pils this weekend. Any thoughts on most suitable water profile? I'm planning on using ashbeck (my alkilinity is high) and adding a small amount of gypsum and calcium chloride to end up with the following:

Ca+2: 44.5
Mg+2: 2.5
Na+: 10.0
Cl- :38.8
SO4-2: 56.5

Would you up the gypsum? My understanding is that this can clash with noble type hops? Thanks

I'm planning to brew a German Pils this weekend. Any thoughts on most suitable water profile? I'm planning on using ashbeck (my alkilinity is high) and adding a small amount of gypsum and calcium chloride to end up with the following:

Ca+2: 44.5
Mg+2: 2.5
Na+: 10.0
Cl- :38.8
SO4-2: 56.5

Would you up the gypsum? My understanding is that this can clash with noble type hops? Thanks
That profile looks fine and is quite similar to the one I used for my German Pils (Ashbeck with additions to 58/2/8/51/72). There was no problem at all getting the Milttelfruh flavours. I needed 0.23mL/L lactic acid in the mash water to get the pH down to a predicted 5.35.

That profile looks fine and is quite similar to the one I used for my German Pils (Ashbeck with additions to 58/2/8/51/72). There was no problem at all getting the Milttelfruh flavours. I needed 0.23mL/L lactic acid in the mash water to get the pH down to a predicted 5.35.
Great thanks for the reply. I'm aiming for around 35IBU. Most IBUs from 60 min additions and 10g mittelfrueh addition near the end of boil (10l batch). Sound about right? How did your Pils turn out? Any tips? Thanks

Also, just thinking about your lactic acid addition. I'm suprised you needed to add lactic to the ashbeck water to get 5.35 mash PH. I guess the grain bill is very light but thought it would fall in line with such low alk water?

Also, just thinking about your lactic acid addition. I'm suprised you needed to add lactic to the ashbeck water to get 5.35 mash PH. I guess the grain bill is very light but thought it would fall in line with such low alk water?
The estimated beer colour was 6.6 EBC and with zero lactic acid I had a predicted pH of 5.64 from brunwater.

Latest posts

Back