German purity laws

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funnyday

Reaction score
My favourite beer Becks is brewed according to the German purity laws. There is no sugar added. How is it that the kits all have sugar in them? Can you get a kit that doesn't add any sugar to the beer?

My favourite beer Becks is brewed according to the German purity laws. There is no sugar added. How is it that the kits all have sugar in them? Can you get a kit that doesn't add any sugar to the beer?

Not all kits do. You can get two can kits where you don't add sugar. Generally they cost a bit more, but the end product is usually worth it.

Or an option with a single can kit is to replace the sugar with malt extract. Again it's more expensive, but you might find you prefer it.

Salt is extracted from the grain when it's mashed.

A kit can be used without sugar, if you buy a double can kit or a single can, and brew to half the stated quantity.

But the malt extract will contain sugar.

Most, if not all, one can kits require you to add extra sugars of some sort from table sugar through to all malt extract with variations on the way. That choice is down to the brewer. But even if you buy a premium kit (where everything is in the box) there is less likelihood of finding sugar in there but that is not guaranteed.
So if you want to make a lager that is all malt, buy a one can kit (say a Coopers Euro) and add 1kg of DME.

Latest posts

Back