Get 'er Brewed Bohemian Pilsner kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenhorn

Regular.
Reaction score
I've been planning a Bohemian Pilsner as my first full on AG, now that I'be got a proper mash tun and can sparge and the like.

I came up with a recipe and was all set to buy all the ingredients using GEBs fancy recipe builder. But then I saw that they do pre-assembled kits, one of which was a dead ringer for my pilsner. Not really surprising given that Bohemian Pilsners are quite specific about what goes in them.

anyway, I found I would save a good few quid buying the kit. The only real difference I could see was that it came with dried yeast rather than Wyeast 2001, which is what I had intended to use. But no biggie.

Well it turned up yesterday and my feelings are somewhat mixed.

Its essentially a big bag of grain, 4 vac packed loads of Saaz hops, a whirlfloc tab and some yeast in a box.

First up, they say that the kit comes with full instructions. Which it doesn't. The nearest it gets is the timings for each pack of hops. But no guide to mash temps or amounts, what water to use (important in a BP), boil times, fermentation temps, nothing.

Now I'm ok with this as I've researched the style to death and can pretty much recount the whole process by heart. But that's not the point. They say it comes with full instructions then it should come with full instructions. 30 minutes writing it in Word and then sticking a print out in each box. How much effort would that be? About half of bugger all. Not a good start.

This evening I got my starter going in readiness for brewday on Saturday.

They packed the wrong yeast.

It should come with Fermentis S-23 lager yeast, but they've stuck in S-05. Instead of fermenting at 10°c, this yeast is happiest at 15-22°c.

Now, I'm going as far as using bottled water of the right make-up to get the right taste, so I'm damned if I'm going to ferment too hot using the wrong yeast.

I'll be calling GEB in the morning and getting them to send me the correct yeast ASAP.

not particularly impressed so far, GEB.:nono:

A potentially great kit, let down by a lack of attention to detail.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

To be fair, I called them up first thing and the lady I spoke to was very helpful. No questions asked, she apologised and said that the correct yeast will be with me tomorrow.

So top marks for that, but still a bit of a bum note on the instructions front. I don't understand why you'd say the kits come with instructions when they don't. And from the reviews they've had, this seems like a recurring theme. Very odd.

Give Get er brewed their due, my correct yeast turned up in the post today. 10/10 for customer service.

Just need to sort out that instructions issue now.

Whilst the kits should come with instructions, (mine didn't either) if you've researched the style extensively I'd suggest that you just cracking on as if the instructions do come, they'll more than likely be pretty generic. Let us know how it goes. I'm about to brew my first pilsner too 👍

I just found this old thread as its the next beer I intend to brew.

Ive just brewed their Propper English IPA kit.

I found exactly the same with the "full instructions included". There were some but not very detailed. The instructions on the webpage has more information but by no means full...also different in many key areas to each other?!

I thought the kit was well packaged and good value.

How did this Pilsner come out?

buddsy

Hi to add my tuppence worth, I'm fermenting this kit as well just now, and the instructions in the kit are still useless, don't make much sense and aren't consistent with those online. However, the online versions are a good starting point in my view, particularly since the mash volume, strike temp and other values will vary with the equipment used anyway. Mine came with lallemand diamond lager yeast which I then made up in to a starter to get to a decent pitch rate. Generally happy as I see kits as more guidelines than gospel.

Lallemand have a good datasheet on how to best use their yeast: https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/docs/products/tds/TDS_LALBREW_PREM_DIAMOND_ENGLISH_DIGITAL.pdf
I've fermented at 12 C and am in the process of raising that slowly to 18 over 6 days before lagering and taking the advice given on this forum, I'm going to follow the slightly quicker lagering described at Brulosophy Lager Method

However.... not sure about the hop teabags. I could have cut them open and used them in the hop spider but thought I'd give them a go

Anna

Its funny how bad they are with instructions.

I nearly went for their larger which they recomend fermenting at 10 deg C with the same yeast.

Keep us updated on this one. Very keen to hear how it goes. Thanks for the info on the lagering processes

buddsy :cool:

/rant

I'm currently struggling to say anything good about Get 'er Brewed right now having had the exact same experience with no instructions in their American Brown Ale part-extract kit. I've done the phone thing, I've done the email thing, I've even merged their website info/guidance (really can't call them instructions) into those supplied by Dark Rock Brewing (brilliant hazy neipa part extract kit) and have tried to get them to OK them but......nothing.

I'd like this story to have a happy ending but so far I've only been able to talk to packing/sales folk who don't know anything about brewing (no judgement from me on that). Come on Get 'er Brewed, step up your instructions game or I won't be a repeat customer regardless of how good the beer turns out. Oh, also, I'd like a refund on the equipment you billed me for but didn't deliver BTW.

/endrant

Last thing - if anyone *has* done this kit (or if otherwise fancys a noesy and wants to help me out ;) ), did you sparge, is the dextrose a boil addition, approximately how long was fermentation and finally, how much priming sugar should be used?

Thank you

I find GEB have a great website, great packaging, great prices and great products.

Their ownbrand kits seem the same; well packaged great prices but I just dont understand why they dont have a full set of real instructions?

Seems a real let down.

buddsy

I find GEB have a great website, great packaging, great prices and great products.

Their ownbrand kits seem the same; well packaged great prices but I just dont understand why they dont have a full set of real instructions?

Seems a real let down.

buddsy
Bizarre as it may seem, their naff instructions led me to read up more on the why of the mash stages and pitching amounts, rather than just following instructions. It was in a way liberating to appreciate that the instructions were either simplifications and approximations for different equipment.

Last thing - if anyone *has* done this kit (or if otherwise fancys a noesy and wants to help me out ;) ), did you sparge, is the dextrose a boil addition, approximately how long was fermentation and finally, how much priming sugar should be used?
Regarding the specifics of this kit, no I haven't done this kit but relatively recently moved to AG earlier this year so was familiar with the extract kits. Their online instructions look pretty good: because the volume of steeping grains is only a small proportion of the grains, I suggest:
Partial mash with the steeping grains (in the muslin bag) in 3 litres of water (about 3x mash weight) at 68 deg as per instructions. Add the liquid to the kettle/pot for boiling and put the grain bag in a funnel and pour over another 1-2 litres of hot water - could go for 77 deg if being fussy about it. If you don't have a funnel, after draining the grains, add them to the extra water in the same pan swirl and tip the water into the kettle. Depending on your size of pan, either add one or both of the liquid malt tubs - if you can do a full volume boil use both, if using a smaller pan I'd go for only one of the liquid malts and add the other one cold at the end to the Fermenter. Any shortfall in volume due to a partial boil can be made up with water once in the fermenter, assuming it's a 21 litre kit.

The dextrose is a bit of a puzzle as it's not clear if it's for carbonation or upping the ABV. You'll need less than 100g for priming though I'd use a priming calculator (Beer Priming Calculator - Brewer's Friend) to be sure. Personally I'd add 400g straight to the fermenter at the time of starting fermentation but that isn't 'the officially right thing' to do, it depends if you mind the extra 1% v approx alcohol it will add to the beer but sanitise the outside of the pack and scissors before opening it.

Length of fermentation - personally I'm boring and go for 2 weeks ferment with a dry hop at day 7 or 9 depending on how active the fermentation is, ie I'd wait till it's not too active so as not to lose the hop aromatics. I know some would argue it can be quicker but I stick to 2 weeks ferment, 2 weeks bottle condition 2 weeks cold condition ( other than lagers).

Apologies if that's stuff you already know, I'm still feeling a bit new here on the forum and so my experience is a lot with extract in the past rather than AG.

Anna

/rant

I'm currently struggling to say anything good about Get 'er Brewed right now having had the exact same experience with no instructions in their American Brown Ale part-extract kit. I've done the phone thing, I've done the email thing, I've even merged their website info/guidance (really can't call them instructions) into those supplied by Dark Rock Brewing (brilliant hazy neipa part extract kit) and have tried to get them to OK them but......nothing.

I'd like this story to have a happy ending but so far I've only been able to talk to packing/sales folk who don't know anything about brewing (no judgement from me on that). Come on Get 'er Brewed, step up your instructions game or I won't be a repeat customer regardless of how good the beer turns out. Oh, also, I'd like a refund on the equipment you billed me for but didn't deliver BTW.

/endrant

Thank you

I have sent a link to GEB i am sure they will reply soon.

Bizarre as it may seem, their naff instructions led me to read up more on the why of the mash stages and pitching amounts, rather than just following instructions. It was in a way liberating to appreciate that the instructions were either simplifications and approximations for different equipment.

Regarding the specifics of this kit, no I haven't done this kit but relatively recently moved to AG earlier this year so was familiar with the extract kits. Their online instructions look pretty good: because the volume of steeping grains is only a small proportion of the grains, I suggest:
Partial mash with the steeping grains (in the muslin bag) in 3 litres of water (about 3x mash weight) at 68 deg as per instructions. Add the liquid to the kettle/pot for boiling and put the grain bag in a funnel and pour over another 1-2 litres of hot water - could go for 77 deg if being fussy about it. If you don't have a funnel, after draining the grains, add them to the extra water in the same pan swirl and tip the water into the kettle. Depending on your size of pan, either add one or both of the liquid malt tubs - if you can do a full volume boil use both, if using a smaller pan I'd go for only one of the liquid malts and add the other one cold at the end to the Fermenter. Any shortfall in volume due to a partial boil can be made up with water once in the fermenter, assuming it's a 21 litre kit.

The dextrose is a bit of a puzzle as it's not clear if it's for carbonation or upping the ABV. You'll need less than 100g for priming though I'd use a priming calculator (Beer Priming Calculator - Brewer's Friend) to be sure. Personally I'd add 400g straight to the fermenter at the time of starting fermentation but that isn't 'the officially right thing' to do, it depends if you mind the extra 1% v approx alcohol it will add to the beer but sanitise the outside of the pack and scissors before opening it.

Length of fermentation - personally I'm boring and go for 2 weeks ferment with a dry hop at day 7 or 9 depending on how active the fermentation is, ie I'd wait till it's not too active so as not to lose the hop aromatics. I know some would argue it can be quicker but I stick to 2 weeks ferment, 2 weeks bottle condition 2 weeks cold condition ( other than lagers).

Apologies if that's stuff you already know, I'm still feeling a bit new here on the forum and so my experience is a lot with extract in the past rather than AG.

Anna
Thanks for the input - plenty to mull over there!

The dextrose is a puzzler as you say; clearly too much for priming yet no clear instruction for when to use it otherwise. I'm leaning towards heaving it in towards the end of the boil - banking on it being there simply to bump up the abv. But given that no *priming sugar* is included that then begs the question...what to prime with!

Hopefully I'll get some clarity from a product expert/brewer at Get 'er Brewed soon :)

As for the ferment, your advice sounds good; I'm inclined to go for the highly unscientific approach of leaving it until airlock activity is done then start taking gravity readings.

Thanks for the help!

L

Back