geterbrewed NEIPA kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this up from the post office yesterday, and was looking forward to getting it on today.

As you can see, it looks really interesting:

2x1.5kg mangrove jack light liquid malt
Isomerised hop extract
Cites, Galaxy,Mosaic hops
25g! Of new New England dry yeast

I normally do AG, but this was an impulse buy along with some other stuff from geterbrewed.

So, all cleaned and sterilised, ashbeck water ready and....

....there's no bloody instructions! No guidance on:

Brew length
How to treat yeast
How to use isomerised hop extract
When/how to dry hop

Called geterbrewed and emailed...and I think they are shut for easter.

Time to walk the dog.

Cheers

Martin IMG_20180331_135818.jpg
IMG_20180331_140022.jpg
IMG_20180331_135818.jpg

I'm sure one of the guys here that does extract brews will be able to help with the method.

wow, thats a no boil kit :shock:**. the isomerised hop extract normally goes in after fermentation has died down. there's no boil required. thats means uber cleanliness is essential. 25g of yeast reduces the need for rehydration.

**ok 2 kettles full of boiled hot water, one for the fv and the other to rinse out the two pouches of extract, stirring the extract into the hot water in the fv as you empty it.

as the hops are down as a dry hop pop them in about day 9 for five days. BUT i'd make a hop tea with them instead just before bottling. OR you'll get more juicy aroma than taste.

60IBUs sound like an awful lot to put into a NEIPA, especially at 1.042 - usually its a challenge to keep the bitterness levels down in this style

For most LME, 3kg to a gravity of 1.042 implies a brewlength in the 20-21 litre region, which sounds about right. I doubt they’ve really given you enough hops to do the level of hopping most folks are doing with these beers at the moment.

On the GEB site extract brewing tab is says that their extract kits are based on 21L into the fermenter.
@Hoddy is the one forumite that I know has used this yeast

On the GEB site extract brewing tab is says that their extract kits are based on 21L into the fermenter.
@Hoddy is the one forumite that I know has used this yeast

Yeah the NE yeast from lallemand isn’t as dense on cells per gram as most other dried yeasts so it requires 1g per litre.

That 25g pack should be fine for mid gravity beer at around 21 litres.

Follow the usual rehydration methods as other dried yeasts. I’ve found this yeast is slow to get going so the lag time is around 24-48hrs until it’s at full chat.

I’m going to be trying the first re-pitch of this harvested yeast tomorrow in a black IPA. All going to plan that is.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your replies.

Deborah and geterbrewed emailed me within a couple of hours with the link to the instructions online, but I've been busy yesterday doing Eastery stuff.

To answer some of the points you have made:

- the hop extract goes in right at the start, before pitching the yeast.
- the hops have been processed as tea bags, and are recommended to go in via a hop tea 2 days before bottling (after fermentation has stopped)
- dunno the weight of the hops. The tea bags are vac sealed in foil at present. Will weight the tea bags just prior to making the tea.

It was a real (and pleasant) surprise to do a kit again - less than an hour from sterilising to putting into the fridge.

Regards

Martin

Yeah the NE yeast from lallemand isn’t as dense on cells per gram as most other dried yeasts so it requires 1g per litre.

That 25g pack should be fine for mid gravity beer at around 21 litres.

Follow the usual rehydration methods as other dried yeasts. I’ve found this yeast is slow to get going so the lag time is around 24-48hrs until it’s at full chat.

I’m going to be trying the first re-pitch of this harvested yeast tomorrow in a black IPA. All going to plan that is.......

It's not just a cell density issue or the home brewer sized packets would have appeared already, just in a larger size ;)

It should be interesting to see how it works on subsequent generations when re-pitching.

A bit angry with geterbrewed and the kit. The website and packing sheet said 2x1.5kg whereas they sent 2x1.2kg. Their instructions said brew to 23l. So I have ended up with 3% beer rather than 4.4%.

When I raised this with geterbrewed their email showed no remorse or desire to make good, rather they have corrected the website- but not the instructions.

Poor show £26 for 2x1.2kg. .

Does sound like a pretty rubbish kit, not enough malt and nowhere near enough hops to make a NEIPA.

Back