Geterbrewed single hop AG kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
Just received a few single hop kits from GetErbrewed. A quick read of the instructions it gives all times for hop additions, but also at the 15min it says to add the Irish moss. Would that be the small brown tablet that’s included in the bags?

Yeah, that’s the one

I got the Mosaic too, along with an Amarillo and Citra kit. Keep me busy for a few weekends

Yeah, that’s the one

I got the Mosaic too, along with an Amarillo and Citra kit. Keep me busy for a few weekends
Ooh nice. I'm ordering the Citra one if this goes well.
You'll have to let us know how they turn out.

Actually could you do me a favour and post a picture of the Mosaic Kit instructions please?
My kit didn't come with instructions and although GEB have said they will post them to me twice now, I still haven't got them (it's been several weeks). I did say they can just email me the pdf if they have it but didn't get any joy.

When my LHBS was still open:((a victim of coronavirus cum retirement) Joe said to only use a maximum of half a whirlfloc, I know not why, though. I tend to add half at 15 minutes and can read the Bible through my beer, if called upon to do so.

Just received a few single hop kits from GetErbrewed. A quick read of the instructions it gives all times for hop additions, but also at the 15min it says to add the Irish moss. Would that be the small brown tablet that’s included in the bags?
Well that's GEB for you. If you'd ordered it from an British Supplier, they'd have told you to chuck in a bit of sphagnum! :laugh8:

When my LHBS was still open:((a victim of coronavirus cum retirement) Joe said to only use a maximum of half a whirlfloc, I know not why, though. I tend to add half at 15 minutes and can read the Bible through my beer, if called upon to do so.
Hi Dux i miss that shop it was a great hbs will be sadly missed by alot of folks athumb..

5AC58361-8A65-4314-B119-458C7A20F8C4.jpeg

hope you can read it, the original image was clear.

hope you can read it, the original image was clear.
Thanks very much. Can just make it out so much appreciated.

Pretty sure the 1/3 packet of yeast is incorrect. Should be dropping the whole thing in there (contents, not the packet itself :laugh8: )

I'm slightly disappointed that the grain bill breakdown is a mystery on these kits. I did an Irish Stout GEB kit from Crisp and it gave a total breakdown of each grain.
Maybe it's 100% Maris Otter? Would be nice if they told us though.

Pretty sure the 1/3 packet of yeast is incorrect. Should be dropping the whole thing in there (contents, not the packet itself :laugh8: )

I'm slightly disappointed that the grain bill breakdown is a mystery on these kits. I did an Irish Stout GEB kit from Crisp and it gave a total breakdown of each grain.
Same for the Mandarina Bavaria kit which is definitely not single malt and the whole point of me doing these kits is to work out what I like in my brews.

Think I'll message GEB and ask them.

The instructions on the web page for the Wes Coast IPA break down the grain bill so it's a bit inconsistent.

That said, £15 for a 40 pint kit is very reasonable 😁

Irish Stout is usually taken to be:
70% Pale Malt
20% Flaked Barley
10% Roasted Barley

So a 5kg Grain Bill is 3.5kg Pale / 1kg Flaked / 500g Roast.
If GEB recipe is much different, I would be slightly surprised.

As for a Mandarina Bavaria, here is the Grain Bill for a jolly fine recent SHA (to 25L):
Pale (MO) 5kg
Light Crystal 480g
Wheat Malt 240g

Greg Hughes suggests something like 4.75kg Pale and 250g Light Crystal for a 23-25L Single Hop Ale.

Finally got around to doing the Mosaic

Do you leave the bags in after flame out or remove them before chilling?

I have not done this recipe but a guideline would be to do what you prefer to suit your taste. Leaving the hops in while you chill will add a bit more taste but may also add some more IBU,s to the beer so if the recipe IBU's given are already at the top end of your preferred bitterness I would remove them before chilling if you like a slightly more bitter beer then leave them in and you will benefit from a little more hop taste.
There is a ongoing question as to how much IBU's are added by leaving hops in while chilling/whirlpooling and no 2 brewers will come up with the exact same answer some even say no real IBU's are added by leaving them in so it is a matter of experimenting and finding out what suits

Great, no hard and fast rule

Down to personal taste then, cheers

Back