getting kegged cider brew to clear.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderman

Reaction score
Hi everyone on the forum,

My kegged Cider brew (from a brew buddy kit) has been sitting in my kitchen at around 19 degrees for the last ten days. Some one said to me that I need to move it to a cool place, to help it clear. Is this true, or can I just leave it where it is and eventually it will clear anyway? :wha: Also, there is no more gas coming from the safety valve. Also what is this definition of "cool", :wha: Obviously, I don't want to freeze the brew. :rofl: I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Great forum, keep up the good work :thumb:

Ciderman :D :D :D

Hey ciderman.

With my kit, the cider was bottled and it cleared in a 20'c airing cupboard no problem.

I left it there for 5-6 days.

Now I've just put them in my near freezing outhouse to mature a little! (lets see how long they last)

Unless you disturbed the sediment when you were racking... I'm not sure whats happened!

Leave it a few more days, I'm sure it will settle.

Hi crE,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On the kit instructions it states," leave the FV to ferment for 7 days at around 20 degrees. After this time rack off to bottles or a keg and then leave in a warm place for a further 4 days. After this time they say to move the keg to a "cool" place. The cider should then clear within 7 days." Could it be that I took some other advice and left the keg in the warm for 10 days, and have not yet completed the last stage in these instructions? :wha:

I have not moved or knocked the keg at all. Then again I also cannot see whether the brew has cleared or not, because the keg is obviously opaque. I was really questioning whether I should or should not move it to a "cool" place, as stated in the instructions. Maybe I should just place the keg in a "cool" place, until I want to start drinking it. :cheers:

Thanks again, :clap:

Ciderman :thumb:

Moving the keg somewhere cool/cold will help the yeast drop out of suspension. I sometimes do this with my AG brews, I drop them down to 4c or 5c, a garage should be perfect for this at the moment. :)

Thanks again Wez, you are a mine of information, I value your experienced comments and advice. The keg is now in my workshop, on my workbench, tap strategically positioned over the edge, just waiting to be sampled. Damn it, I've promised myself to wait until Christmas, I hope I can hold out until then :pray: We'll have to see.

Ciderman. :D

Cheers :cheers:

The hardest thing about brewing is the waiting :D

Let us know how you get on bud :thumb:

Latest posts

Back