Getting labels for your home brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds familiar. I want to go laser but haven't a clue what to look for.
I use a colour laser and we recently upgraded our printer (well the last one was near dead) and was surprised at how much less expensive they are than they used to be. Having said that we have a pretty large printer as the OH does lots more printing than I do and was keen to get a new one. A good place to start is printerland as they quote the cost per page to print which is a better guide than the overall cost. The toner cost for a laser printer is the killer but many of them now use much more compact laser toner. Printing I use these labels, which have a good finish to make the colour pop and soak off in cold water after about half an hour.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072DTQ6RZ
(Our printer is the Xerox VersaLink C400DN but that's likely a wee bit big for most people)

Anna

Must confess that I can't be bothered with fancy labels, but this method would work either way. I just use Visio drawing software (one of endless alternatives) & print on a HP OfficeJet Pro using standard paper, 12 to a page.
I stick them on with standard builder's PVA watered down 2:1 and apply with a brush to the back of the label. Labels come off very easily when the bottles are washed but are generally otherwise quite secure. Contrary to what others say, the HP inkjet ink doesn't run at all and neither did my previous Canon printer using clone ink.
As I say my interest is to know what's in the bottle, so very utilitarian in design, but here's an example:
1611915927291.png

I really like a nice label.... (you'd never have guessed 😜). The one I like most was the one I made for my Christmas mead, which went through about 10 versions before I was happy. From wholly subjective tests on unsuspecting family, I reckon adding a nice label makes wine tastes better as well 😇.

mead smaller label.png
IMG_0381.jpeg

This was sent as Christmas presents to friends and family.

Anna

mead smaller label.png

IMG_0381.jpeg

I'll hand it to you those are quite stunningly beautiful labels!

On another subject, regarding comments about price of toner or ink, I think it's the same for all home printers but the business model is that the printer is the loss leader and the profit is in the ink or toner. So it's always best to check out the overall costs before buying a printer which initialy looks great value.

Mine are simple too. Based on the British Rail depot allocation label & loco data panel: Just done in M$ Word. I only label bottles I'm giving away. BP2.jpgBP2DataPanelDecal.jpg

I purchased a pack of sticky back labels from Online labels, loads of choice and you have one year access to Maestro label designer. Top products

Did you pay the 1 off fee to use the service?
There's no need. There are some labels which are free though they're a bit naff. The better labels, where you can upload a photo can be got for free by:
1. fill out all the info of your brew
2. upload a photo
3. click the button that allows you to view the label
4. Do `print screen' on your computer
5. paste that into something like `paint'.
6. save as a jpeg.

There are also some good labels for free on Jam Labelizer.

I paid the one-off fee which was $5 I think I figure that if people spend time and effort on developing a product & it’s worth having (if it’s a small cost) it doesn’t hurt to pay it.

I really like a nice label.... (you'd never have guessed 😜). The one I like most was the one I made for my Christmas mead, which went through about 10 versions before I was happy. From wholly subjective tests on unsuspecting family, I reckon adding a nice label makes wine tastes better as well 😇.

View attachment 40389View attachment 40390
This was sent as Christmas presents to friends and family.

Anna
Nice, I even went to the bother of having beer mats made of my design. If you are going in, you may as well go all in.

I have a kyocera MFP 5521cdw - toner costs below. It seems the more expensive the printers in their range the cheaper the running costs however I worked out i'd have to print over 5000 pages before it was more cost effective to get the next model up. given we print around 500 pages a year I don't believe the printer(or I) would last for 10 years.
1612212905855.png

Inkjets are better for photos. But lasers are great for clip art and graphics and of course dont bleed (hence why not so good for photos where you get better mixing) Inkjets if not used often waste ink in a maintenance cycle that unclogs the nozzles. Toner doesn't clog up if not being used.

The printer so far has been great, quick to print I scan to smb or ftp with it as the print is upstairs and the main pc downstairs. down side it weights about 22 kilos. Mrs DOJ can print invoices when WFH on it and along with her DYMO label writer 450 printer - its professional business quality output.

For beer labels i've not yet worked it out because generally your going to be covering more than 5% on a page if you stick 6 lables on an a4 sheet for example.

Latest posts

Back