GH American stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just drawing up a shopping and brew list...
I fancy doing this ..recipe asks for 500g black malt which is getting in for 10%...MM lists black malt at 3-5% of total grist ..
Any thoughts or just go with it?

Just drawing up a shopping and brew list...
I fancy doing this ..recipe asks for 500g black malt which is getting in for 10%...MM lists black malt at 3-5% of total grist ..
Any thoughts or just go with it?

No practical experience but note that in his section on different malts he has black malt as being up to 10 per cent.

I've used black malt in larger ratios than 5%, it's always been fine.

The GH recipe is Base Malt 5kg and 500g each of Black and Crystal. This is very much in line with Randy Mosher's 84% Base, 8% each of Crystal and Black.

I did the GH recipe (with a few tweaks) and it was ace. Pitched 18 March and nearly finished now.

If you want to sub out Chocolate for some of the Black, or sub Roast Barley, even, as part of the grist, it is very unlikely to come to grief.

The hops are a bit occult though, to be honest, especially 6 months down the line!

Can't help with your question, but it's funny, I was looking looking at that one today too.

Got an oatmeal stout in the FV at the moment, maybe it's the change in the weather but suddenly I feel like it's worth getting 1 or 2 more dark beers in the go.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on athumb..:beer1:

It does sound quite a lot for a standard 19L batch. If indeed that is the batch size?

I used the same amount in a Papazian recipe because I had no roasted barley. Should have been 225g black malt and 225g roasted barley. I just hoofed the 500g bag of black malt in. Beer turned out great!

Looks like this is on for tomorrow...I'm going to change the hops though as I need my Amarillo for a pale that just finished.
I'm going to bitter with some dregs of progress and brambling cross and finish it with Columbus... recipe asks for additions at 10 and turn off...I'll do around 75*...might even dry hop..

Thanks all!
I'll go with the 500g..what do you mean by "occult hops" Slid??

"Occult" just means "hidden" and in the vernacular, you can taste B..... All of them on the time scale that a Stout beer matures. So the wonderful aromas and such like are "hidden" in the past, if you drink your stout (strong) beer when the malts are at their best. Paradoxically, were you to drink the stout when the hops were prominent, their wondrous aromas and flavours would be obscured by the slightly intrusive nature of the immature dark malts.

So, to sum up, it is a stout at the end of the day, for mine, and shoving a load of expensive hops in it is an extravagance to slight purpose.

Does you brew this in the end @Clint , what's the current status? I brewed an American stout yesterday though it was a different recipe from the GH one. Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks to see how it compares to BIPA i did a couple of months back and an oatmeal stout i did that's about ready for bottling :beer1:

Hopefully I will be brewing this on Friday eve. What crystal are you using? I have some black crystal 400ebc. It’s pretty old and needs to be used up. Wondering if that would be too much? Anyone have any experience using black crystal?

@Clint did it stop chugging? Mine finished at 1011 with us-05.

Kegged it yesterday, and had a little taste, wow it’s good.

A month in it was at 1014...at five weeks it had completely stopped,no lid pressure...nothing. I kegged it but can't remember...or didn't take the fg...oh dear!

Latest posts

Back