GH Dunkelweizen recipe - which "Munich" Malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the GH Dunkelweizen recently and faced a similar dilemma to the OP when ordering. For what it's worth, I plumped for Weyermann Dark Wheat and Weyermann Munich II. It turned out really well. Only a few bottles left now.

I also did the GH DW with some regular wheat malt and felt it turned out lighter in colour and not quite as toasty as I remembered.

Thinking ahead to my next try, I ordered the same Weyermann Dark Wheat. It's also on my mind to add some Carafa Special and some Aromatic and/or Biscuit, or maybe Chocolate. What's the worst that can happen?

Interestingly, I've just noticed that the Dark Wheat on the opposite page includes Biscuit and Carafa Special.

I've actually just cracked open one of my last bottles prompted by this thread.

Cheers chaps!

Attachments

• 16046853787805807775671749491076.jpg
    16046853787805807775671749491076.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 63
My Dunkelweisse recipe is
60% Wheat malt
That‘s pretty ballsy on the wheat! Ever had any trouble with the mash sticking? I’m planning to recirculate throughout (HERMS) and do a stepped mash 42/62/72 (30 min at each). Any advice welcome as it’s my first time brewing a weissbier...

No it's fine. I use 65% in my standard hefeweiss and that's ok too. I imagine most german weiss beers are over 60%

My mash is infusion stepped, then gravity drained. I've only just got a pump so haven't tried that yet with a wheat beer, I'd probably keep the flow slow though

No it's fine. I use 65% in my standard hefeweiss and that's ok too. I imagine most german weiss beers are over 60%

My mash is infusion stepped, then gravity drained. I've only just got a pump so haven't tried that yet with a wheat beer, I'd probably keep the flow slow though
Ta - yep. I have to recirculate so that I can maintain and adjust the temp; however the flow rate is pretty low (I just use one of those little 12v 'solar' pumps). I'll let you know how it goes

Loving the sandals and socks combo 😁
Just for future reference if you ever brew something like this again, if you're using the ferulic acid rest to enhance 4VG (which presumably you are) then it works best at a higher mash pH (~5.7) so it might be a good idea to add the CRS at the end of the acid rest.

Latest posts

Back