Ginger ale with rhubarb recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
dCGmgbt.jpg

Recipe for 12L:
1L apple and rhubarb juice (I wanted pure rhubarb but this was the closest I could find)
540g rhubarb in syrup
100g stem ginger in syrup
100g crystalised stem ginger
400g fresh ginger
600g granulated sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 heaped tsp of cream of tartar
1 tsp pectolase
2 tsp yeast nutrient
Topped up to 12L with campden treated water

A sprinkling of: chilli flakes, nutmeg, cinnamon and a clove

Yeast: 6g ale yeast left over from a Wilkos kit

All solids were chopped and added to the sugar, boiled for 15 minutes then strained into a hop bag and added (along with the boiling liquid) to the fermenter.

If it is lacking in ginger flavours near the end of fermentation I might "dry hop" with more fresh ginger.

SG 1.034

Aiming for 4.5% to 5%, then add sorbate and metabi, backsweeten with sugar and force carb in keg.

Hoping for a refreshing but punchy summer ginger ale with a hint of rhubarb.

Last edited:
With that much ginger it would be quite surprising if it tasted much of rhubarb.

I looked at a number of other recipes before coming up with this and I've brewed ginger ale before so to my tastes I don't think this is a massive amount. Some recipes use up to 500g in one gallon, others around 200g in a gallon. I'm making well over 2 gallons so decided on 400g of fresh and 200g of crystalised and syrup. Don't forget this is added before fermentation so a lot of favour compounds will be driven off in the process of fermentation.

Regarding the rhubarb, I made a gallon of cider with 1L of that rhubarb and apple juice and 4L of regular apple juice and you could definitely taste the rhubarb.

I'm just after a hint of rhubarb in this, but if it is seriously lacking after a couple of weeks I may add another tin of rhubarb.

Update:
This slowed down yesterday and stopped bubbling last night, thought there was an issue so I tested the gravity tonight and it's at 0.998 which I guess is the FG. 2-3 days to fg is possibly the quickest ferment I've ever had.

Had a taste and it's yeasty but pretty nice already. I'll give it a few more days at this temp then remove the solids and crash it, to see if it'll clear up at all. Then backsweeten and keg.

Update:
This slowed down yesterday and stopped bubbling last night, thought there was an issue so I tested the gravity tonight and it's at 0.998 which I guess is the FG. 2-3 days to fg is possibly the quickest ferment I've ever had.

Wow that was fast! Did you you use some super mega yeast or something?!?! lol

Wow that was fast! Did you you use some super mega yeast or something?!?! lol

I actually used a 6g sachet of 'lager yeast', one left over from of the wilko premium lager kits. If I'm not wrong it's just gervin/Nottingham.

Fermented at 20c but I rushed and accidentally pitched warm (30c) and had to put it in the sink with some ice water to bring the temp down, which took about an hour, and which I thought might have had a detrimental effect, but it seems fine.

2nd update:

9 days since I started this.

Kegged with sorbate and campden left for 48hrs, just backsweetened it (10L keg, 10 teaspoons of Demerara, 10 teaspoons of white sugar dissolved in a pan with a cup of water).

It's not carbed yet but my god it's bloody lovely. Not very sweet, it's still a bit dry but the sugar really took the edge off so that suits me.

There's not a huge amount of rhubarb taste, to say "a hint" might be overstating it (@Mr_S_Jerusalem was right there), the ginger isn't massively in your face either.

Next time I might drop the rhubarb all together and just use a cheap apple juice (or maybe try a different juice like cranberry for example).

At least it tastes good - my tomato wine smells like sulphur right now lol

It sounds like a curious ginger beer, perfect for warmer days ahead!

Personally I think apple juice works well in loads of things. Makes a great top up as well.

Latest posts

Back