Glacier Pale Ale Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spapro

Reaction score
Planning this brew using my Peco boiler, BIAB on Saturday morning.

Have a packet of Glacier hops I got cheap a while ago so I want to get a pale ale brew on.

Not sure whether to add some munich malt as I have 400g from previous brews and wondered if anyone used Glacier hops before ?

This is my planned recipe, don't want it too strong as like to supp a few in one sitting:
4.2kg Marris Otter
200g Carapils

28grams Amarillo 10% Alpha for 60 mins (using this for bittering as only got 100g of Glacier)
20grams Glacier 4.7% for 15 mins
20grams Glacier 4.7% for 5 mins
60grams Glacier 4.7% at flame out

According to Brewmate this gets me to a SG of 1042 and 39 IBU's.

Using US05 packet yeast.

Looking for a nice, hoppy pale ale.

Looks well balanced to me, and Glacier is an aroma hop, so the hop schedule looks fine. Munich would make it maltier, around 5- 10% would work well if you want that.

Cheers Clibit, may go with 5% Munich as I've got some which could do with using.

Not heard of glacier. What are they like aroma-wise? I could of course just google it but then we wouldn't be chatting on the forum.

I could google it but then I'd just be doing the same. I did Google it yesterday, but I've forgotten.

I googled it and found it has citrus and pine tones to it - I've got cold at the moment so my sense of smell is limited at the moment. Anyway brewed this today, added the US05 yeast and its now sitting at 19-20°C. Will brew at 18°C.

I did end up with a Starting Gravity of 1048 (was expecting 1042) so may have added more marris otter than intended - I have to weigh out in smaller chunks due to using the kitchen scales. Or might have started the mash a little high - was at 69°C at start and ended at 67°C after 1 hour mash.

Decided to not add the munich malt. Every pale ale, single hop recipe in my 2 books just goes with pale malt and carapils or crystal so decided to do the same.

Anyway, sure it will turn out fine, will be interesting to see how low it gets - I guess if it finishes at 1014-1016 that would indicate I mashed at too high a temp ?

Bit of an update.

I tasted this after 2 weeks in primary and although nice thought it lacked a hop punch - aftre I have so enjoyed the HBC Apollo mashkit which I think is about 60-70 IBU's.

Didn't have any Glacier hops left so I made a hop tea with 35g cascade pellets and added the tea and the pellets to the secondary for 5 days.

Bottled last night and it tasted very, very promising. Although clearly its now a Glacier/Cascade pale ale rather than just Glacier.

Latest posts

Back