Glass bottle exploded.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
So went into the shed this afternoon to get the mower out and the smell of stale beer hits me. Upon checking the crate of lager I had carbing 5 glass bottles had exploded, glass everywhere with about 2m radius.

Not amused, think they are predominantly Williams bros bottles, anyone else having issues. There was also at least one a ghost ship bottle.:oops:

About 20-22 degrees, insulated roof, and south west Scotland. Wouldn't have said it was to hot. Was still picking up pieces some 3m away, must have been some bang.

I had a couple explode under my kitchen table, there were shards of glass stuck into the table wood!
It would scare the living **** out of you if one went when you were close by.

All glass bottles have a design life. A friend who worked in the glass industry in a senior techical role told me that years ago.
The 500ml bottles that many HBers use are probably no exception. They are designed for single use but have a safety factor. So multiple use is outside their design basis.
And if they are scavenged from a bottle bank or the local pub has donated them there is no knowing what calamities they have had, which eats also into the design life.
So hot weather, overpressurisation, too much carbing etc etc may lead to catatrophic failure.
Hopefully when they do go, no-one gets hurt.

Back