Glass carboy v plastic covered glass fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevieleeds

Reaction score
Hi Guy
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't see anything specific.

I've been making 30 btl Kenridge classic kits in just plastic bins for about a year now with great success. However with the last few batches, I've had sediment collecting on the walls of the bucket. I'm guessing this is due to scoring/scratching of the plastic over time. Moreover the last batch was delayed in the bucket due to life taking over, and I'm detecting very slight oxidation in the red, presumably due to excess headspace and possible ingress of oxygen through the lid and/or airlock. So ive decided to invest in some glass FV's, question is which ones. The cheapest 23l glass carboys are £33.99 + £3.99 for metal handles+£3.99 for bungs. So an outlay of £41.97 each. Then there are some on eBay from Germany which are 25l including a plastic basket with carrying handles and free bungs for £18.99+£11 postage so a total outlay of £29.99 each. The continental type appear to be a spherical glass bottle whereas the dearer ones are very heavy with straight sides. Any preference either way considering a cost saving of £23.96 on the German ones!?

I would bin the plastic FV and buy another glass sounds good but it would be a bitch to move because of the added weight.

I was thinking that but just weighing up the sustainability v aesthetics v durability in the long run.....the headspace in a bucket has always perturbed me too, and this time it caught me out I think with oxidisation. £90 kits and the associated time wasted, just thinking it would be better?

I thought about moving to a glass carboy when i first started for the reasons you have mentioned but i had enough trouble cleaning the hard to reach parts of a DJ so didn't fancy scaling it up to something 5 times bigger.

Buy one of the screw top fermenters from the likes of wilko they hold the co2 in with a airlock better than a bucket and protect from oxidising a little better than buckets. Thats what I use for my 30 bottle kits

Thanks the Baron! Definitely another alternative but at £19 each their still double the price of a standard bucket and they're still going to scratch on the inside with wear. I use a degasser on my electric drill and I'm blaming that! I just don't like the sediment clinging to the side walls. Still thinking glass for sustainability/longevity/aesthetics....

I have been using the same Richies FV for more than 3 years and use a degassing wand and drill i do not have any scratches on the inside wall but there are a few in the base where i have mixed the ingredients so wonder if the FV you have is very soft to have become so damaged.

Thanks Chippy I'm sure you're right, I'll try one from Germany and see how I get on. Will stick with plastic for primary and then go to glass like they (Kenridge) recommend.

Cheers guys, Kenridge Chardonnay now (hic) where do you put in what he drinking and brewing? Just put in status but that's obviously wrong!

Back