Glass preparation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can someone help me with how to prep my glasses so my beers keep their heads please. My mate came round and I offered him one of my brews, poured it into a glass and it looked great, poured mine into another glass and it had no head at all. His glass had come out of the cuboard having been washed in the dishwasher about a week earlier, my glass had come out of the dishwasher that night.

Can someone help me with how to prep my glasses so my beers keep their heads please. My mate came round and I offered him one of my brews, poured it into a glass and it looked great, poured mine into another glass and it had no head at all. His glass had come out of the cuboard having been washed in the dishwasher about a week earlier, my glass had come out of the dishwasher that night.
Google 'how to beer clean a glass'. Here's one of the good results:

https://www.beercartel.com.au/blog/getting-your-glassware-beer-clean/

Possible remedy. Use a dedicated washing-up brush and some vodka to scrub the insides and rim, rinse with water and air dry. If using a dishwasher the rinse aid is likely to leave some residue. I wash my glasses by hand with just hot water but this must be done soon after use.

I don't put my beer glasses in the dishwasher. If I did I would rinse them after I had taken them out and then dry them on a clean dedicated glasses cloth.
I wash my glasses by hand separately in detergent water before the rest of the washing up, rinse then dry on a dedicated glasses cloth.
I never have any problems on beers keeping their head in the glass.

I wouldn't recommend using your dishwasher for any beer glasses. There's a reason pubs have seperate glass washers to the one in the kitchen. Best practise in a pub they renovate the glasses once a month with a strong chlorine based chemical similar to line cleaner for a few cycles. One chemical company even call the chemical renovator. Fat is the enemy to heard retention. Also fairy has something in that can ruin head if not rinsed thoroughly enough.

Latest posts

Back