Glastonbury got me thinking...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavieC

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning all, its Glastonbury music festival weekend and its got my mind casting back to a time about 20 years ago when I got an inkling that I fancied myself as a David Coverdale,Paul Rodgers type singer and so joined a rock and blues covers band as frontman,lead vocalist and general lugger of sound equipment.We were a 5 piece band, bass,rythym lead guitars,drums and me singing,performing the music of Deep purple,Thin lizzy,Clapton,Free,Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray Vaughan etc etc.
We had great fun playing mainly in pubs and clubs but we did have a few stand out gigs ,one of which was the Bakewell truck festival, on which occasion I was able to take to the stage and with my arms aloft, I addressed the waiting crowd with the immortal words 'HELLO BAKEWELL'(now thats something Freddie Mercury never got to say).
Another time we played at Bootle Town hall,where we were reliably informed The Beatles had played that very same venue.There was something magical that night playing on the same stage that John,Paul,George and Ringo had stood on many years before.
As tends to happen with many bands, after a few years things fizzled out,we lost interest and 'musical differences' brought about the end of a fun time,although deep down,that David Coverdale within me would love to be walking out on the Glasto main stage tonight and letting the now rusty vocals rip!.Do any forum members play an instrument?who is or has been in a band? What are your experiences?

Last edited:
I used to play harmonica many moons ago but not to a standard where I would play in front of strangers.

Played drums in punk rock bands on and off since I was 16. Never really got anywhere (never really tried TBH), but managed to tour all over Japan with the band I was in when I was living over there which was an amazing experience. Just recently I've been playing with an old pal who did a few Peel sessions in the late 90s so I may finally get a record out!

I listened to a radio interview the other day with the singer from The Skids, he was saying how big the punk scene still is, and theyre touring to sell out crowds.

I tap away at the drums, gig a few times a year in local pubs, we are basically ****, but the buzz you get from seeing people bouncing to your music is priceless.

Latest posts

Back